Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The crazy half hour after we hear thunder (long, ranty, language)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The crazy half hour after we hear thunder (long, ranty, language)

I work at a place where we rent boats. Policy is that if we hear thunder, we call any boats near the dock back in, no matter when they went out, rain or shine. We also have to clear the docks of people, since you are the tallest thing on the dock unless you're two and therefore more likely to be hit by lightening. So today, my dockworker heard thunder and radioed the fact up to me. I radioed back down to him to call the boat we just loaded back in and unloaded and to ask the gentleman fishing on the dock to leave the dock. He did so and told me that he had "politely asked the man to leave, and he 'politely' but not really, told me no." I figured, he wanted to get hit by lightening, leave him. We don't need to mess with sucky customers who want to get hit by lightening. Then a man and his family came up to the window, after I had gotten the boat a refund. They wanted a motor boat. This is how the conversation went.
    Me: me
    DC1: dockworker one
    DC2: dockworker two
    SC: the belligerent man
    SCB: I think SC's brother
    SCS: I think SC's son
    RG: Random guy who wants to rent
    Me: I'm sorry, but we can't rent any boats out for another half hour because we heard thunder.
    SC: Then just get the boat ready, so we can leave as soon as the half hour is up.
    Me: I'm sorry, we can't do that. Nobody's allowed on the docks after we hear thunder.
    SC: *points to gentleman who had refused to leave the docks* Then how come he's on the docks?
    Me:*refraining from saying "this isn't about him" "he's not you" or some other thing my mother always said* We have asked him to leave.
    SC: It takes like 45 minutes for them to get the boats ready! Just have them start now!
    Me: *wondering how he got that figure* Actually, it usually only takes five to ten minutes.
    SC: No, last time I was here it took 45 minutes! They put the motor on the boat, it didn't work, they brought down another one, it didn't work and your manager had to bring one down!
    Me: Well, we check the motors up here and that usually doesn't happen.
    SC: Just put the motor on the boat!
    SCB: Hey come on, she told you they can't.
    SC: Isn't there some way we can speed this process up? Like are there any forms we can fill out?
    Me: Yes, fill this out. *shoves boat rental form towards them*
    Then RG comes to the window and asks to rent a boat. I tell them we can't rent it out and why.
    At this point, another one of our boats comes towards our docks. I radio down to the dockworker.
    Me: Hey, can you guys call that boat in?
    DC2: I tried, they're ignoring me.
    Boat starts to leave again.
    Me: They really need to come in.
    DC2: They're too far away now for me to talk to them.
    RG:*turns around to look at the boat* HEY GUYS! YOU NEED TO GET YO' ASSES IN HERE! IT'S THUNDERING AND LIGHTENING AND SHIT! YOU GONNA DIE! *gestures wildly* *turns back around* That's how you do it. *leaves*
    I start cracking up and DC1 comes in asking "Did I miss something?"

SCS comes up to the window, at this point I didn't realize he was with the others. He asks me a bunch of questions about fishing, cat fish, water depth and good fishing spots. Very polite and probably a good fisherman from the questions he asked. He leaves the window and SC comes back with the form and shoves it towards me. I get him to fill out a couple of things he missed and he tries bribing me to let them go out. First he says he's going to my higher ups to let them know what terrible service he got, then he tries to give me a 40% coupon for Acrombie and Fitch, then a twenty dollar bill. I decline all this, then he wants to pay and get life vests. I let him do this. He comes back to the window with two of them and asks if we have Lysol. We do, but we have one thing of it for all our cleaning needs and we don't know how long it has to last us. I ask what he needs it for and he tells me his life vests are dirty. I tell him I will clean them for him to shut him up. When he hands them to me, they aren't dirty at all, just stained from use. I take them to our sink and wash them the way we're supposed to, with soap and water. I hand one to DC2 and he takes it to them while I wash the other. But apparently it got dropped when it was being handed over and SC threatened to have his son kick DC2's ass. DC replied "I don't think that's a good idea, I'm a minor." When I came out with the other life vest, SC is tearing DC2's head off about the life vests. This causes SC to get on my case how the life vests are dripping wet. Me and the dockworkers go into the back room to check the motor and to get away from SC. DC2 asks DC1 if DC1 could load them because SC didn't like him. At this point the half hour had passed, so DC1 took the motor and battery down and SCS apologized for his father. The whole group went down to the boat and left their life vests up at the building. When I took them down to them, SC tried to offer me his hand...with money in it! I looked at it and he was like "Aw, come on." I replied, "Sorry, I can't."

It was the worst time I've ever had after it's thundered. But I still had a nice end to my day when I went to leave, and there was a doe and her fawn walking across the parking lot.
    No, Buzz. I AM your hotdog in pajamas!
    sewingwithmermer.wordpress.com

HEY GUYS! YOU NEED TO GET YO' ASSES IN HERE! IT'S THUNDERING AND LIGHTENING AND SHIT! YOU GONNA DIE!
    Omg, lol! This just made my day!

Comment

Quoth Mer-Mer View Post
      First he says he's going to my higher ups to let them know what terrible service he got
      I always love that. Sure, go to my superiors, tell them how good a job I'm doing at following policy.

Comment

Why'd he offer you money at the dock? What a weirdo.

Comment

Quoth Hawaiian Eskimo View Post
          I always love that. Sure, go to my superiors, tell them how good a job I'm doing at following policy.
          I love it when that backfires on them.

"Hey miss Manager, this person SGA is REALLY RUDE. She wouldn't talk on my cell phone when I tried to give it to her!"

Manager:
          The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Quoth notlovinit View Post
            Why'd he offer you money at the dock? What a weirdo.
            Probably hoping for some extra "services"
            Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth Mer-Mer View Post
              HEY GUYS! YOU NEED TO GET YO' ASSES IN HERE! IT'S THUNDERING AND LIGHTENING AND SHIT! YOU GONNA DIE! *gestures wildly* *turns back around* That's how you do it. *leaves*
              lol. Thats absolutely priceless.

I always love it when some customer has the guts to say the things you can't to other morons.

Comment

SC threatened to have his son kick DC2's ass
                Um. maybe it's me but once they start threatening to beat you up.. that's when they need to leave.

Comment

RG:*turns around to look at the boat* HEY GUYS! YOU NEED TO GET YO' ASSES IN HERE! IT'S THUNDERING AND LIGHTENING AND SHIT! YOU GONNA DIE! *gestures wildly* *turns back around* That's how you do it. *leaves*
                  I start cracking up and DC1 comes in asking "Did I miss something?"
                  That guy is awesome. I wish I would get customers like that, all the ones I've had at my various retail jobs (or waitressing) have been snobby jerks, sexist morons, the holier-than-thou brood mares or those creepy guys you can easily picture being on COPS (and some of them have been...I had one brag to me about how many times he'd been on that show. Yeah dude, that's really something to impress the ladies with. I'm sure they thought that run-down trailer I wouldn't even use as a doghouse was super-appealing, and they thought your massive hairy beergut was the sexiest thing on the face of the earth, particularly the way it jiggled around like jello while the police were tackling you to the ground while you swore drunkenly and made an idiot out of yourself.) and that general sort.

Comment

Working...
                  X