This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STOP. (*&@#$ING. ARGUING.

I rarely post during my work week and rarely about one specific call. But this particular call, and its associated phenomena, deserve mention and ridicule. >.> I absolutely despise when someone does this: When they argue with me instead of letting me get them help. Its a one two punch of abject raging stupidity and aggravation.

Little background on this one. As you know, I do some tier 1 tech support and tech support dispatching. For this particular client, I dispatch cases only. Because they are a major client that handles some high level network stuff for major global corporations. Normally its not much of a problem, but on the weekends their international offices are closed and everything is forwarded to us. So I have to field international calls. Normally this is fine except for one specific country who constantly gives me problems. Its not a language barrier either. It's that they're almost universally rude ( my job is "beneath" them, so they think they can talk over me ), don't listen to me and half the time don't even have the information they know they're suppose to have to open a case ( IE: Serial numbers. )

Well, this morning I got a call from a company in this country. Mildly irksome ( he was more confused than anything else ) but no biggie. I dispatched it to a technician, not a problem. A while later they called back to complain they hadn't recieved a response. So I check with the tech and it turns out they had given their main company directory number. But not the extension for the guy having the problem. So the tech couldn't get through to him. Not a big deal, I get the proper info and pass it to the tech. But in the interm, the tech also suddenly gets a flurry of other calls so he has 4 calls he's trying to deal with and they're all ahead of this company's because they farked up their phone number.

Fast forward a bit, this company calls again and right from the get go, lays into me without even letting me speak. Why haven't they gotten a call back, they pay for this service, they're going to cancel if they don't get a call back NOW, they're going to email all our other clients and tell them how terrible we are and make sure we lose all our business, etc etc etc. I can't get much of a word in edgewise. Then they ramp the fucktwat up to 11.

This asshole bridges me into a conference call with a board meeting. So that EVERYONE can yell at me. At the same fucking time. It's suddenly me vs the Confederacy of Asshole. Now every last one of these miserable fleshsacks is fully aware of what my job and position is, and thus what I can and cannot do. They know full well that complaining to me is pointless, and that berating me or outright threatening me is completely blaming the wrong person. But they don't really give a shit. My job is "beneath" theirs, which culturally speaking means they can talk down to me, over me, and berate me like a child. Despite this having nothing to do with me, and the delay being caused by their own god damn mistake.

They argued with me for 15 minutes. I clocked it on my call recording. 15 fucking minutes. Despite me explaining several times that the sooner they let me get off the line, the sooner I could actually get them the help they were fucking complaining about not getting. It was like having a room full of crying children that don't understand why they can't have ice cream but won't get in the car so I can drive them to fscking Baskin Robbins. It was so profounding self-defeating that even my usual limitless patience was coming dangerously close to a "Excuse me, sirs, but what the Hell is your problem?" limit.

Even my Grown Up Voice took 5 or 6 tries to cut through their rambling bullshit and I had to lay out an ultimatum on them 4 times for it to sink in ( aka "Look, do you want me to get a tech for you or not?" ). But no, just keep fucking arguing with me and preventing me from actually helping you, you glorious symphony of mancunts.

At one point they even acknowledged that they were berating the wrong person. But kept on for another 10 minutes anyway. Because hey, why the fuck allow reason or basic respect to interrupt a good thing when you're already 5 minutes in?

Ugh.

Wut?

Rather than let you do what you could to fix it, they kept yelling at you?

How does that even make sense??
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I wonder which country it is. I have a hunch.

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post

How does that even make sense??

... you new here?

Comment

Not really. But it was a really long night tonight at work. So it finished breaking my brain. I hate closing Saturdays. >.<
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Holy fscking Q!!

What the bloody fsck is so difficult about acknowledging that you have made a mistake??? What the hell!

Okay, now that that's over with...

...you really need a better outlet. These fsckwits are just getting too much worse as of late.
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth MrSunshineState View Post
              You know it's ours. Sometimes I want to move to Canada.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

THEY gave you the wrong number. THEY failed to give you all of the pertinent information. THEY ... go to the back of the queue.

What morons. It's really sad that they knew you could not help them but persisted anyway. Any chance you can use this as ammo (with the higher-ups) to refuse to personally take calls from this company in the future...?
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth MrSunshineState View Post
                  I don't, because I already know.

People like them are the reason people like me are held in lower regard abroad.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Interruptions

I have had something similar in a much lesser way. I was working as a programmer on an accounting system and had to deal with middle management on a daily basis.

There was one user who would give me a problem to fix, but then instead of leaving me to work it out, he would come back every 20 minutes (or so) to see if I had finished. The most simple job normally took an hour or so with most jobs taking 3 to 4 hours, so he had a path worn to my office every time he wanted something done.

He was oblivious to very broad hints about interruptions too. I would be elbow deep in the code, trying to work out something complex, and "Tap tap tap" there he would be at my door. Sometimes I would loose track and have to go back several steps, with the result that his jobs always longer than anyone else. This seemed to have the effect of making him visit me more often.

He would turn up and say-

Him: "How are you going?"
                    Me: "I almost had it, but with these interruptions I lost track and will have to start again"

The cumulation of it all for me was one day when 10 minutes after giving me a job we had this conversation.

Him: "How are you going?"
                    Me: "I've only just started looking at it."
                    Him: "How long will it take?"
                    Me: "I have to find out the problem first, so I don't know."
                    Him: "When will you know?"

So what my team did was appoint someone else to talk to him, and let me get on with the job without the interruptions. They would intercept him at the main door and have all of that conversation with him without involving me. I believe this is why the top tier of programmers and technicians are not available to end users or even managers who are end users.

The managers feel they have to manage. Their belief is that no one can do a proper job without their hand on the steering wheel. Like all pointy haired managers all over the world they rarely listen to what their techs are telling them and they make assumptions that are wrong.

As well they can be ignorant asshats like your tormentors. I feel your pain.

Comment

I would have said "Are you done? Get to the point. I have a job to do. The longer you drag me on this call, the longer it's going to take for you to get a tech to fix your problem."

Does your call center have a policy regarding excessive abuse? If they started getting abusive, I'm allowed to hang up.
                      Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Gravekeeper, I'm sorry you had to deal with a team of ignorant bullying assholes. On behalf of my entire country, I most sincerely apologize. Then again, these jerks would act just as badly towards their fellow Americans as well. Assholery knows no boundaries.

I just don't get that attitude. There's a problem, it needs fixing, but instead of stating the problem clearly and stepping back and letting the qualified person fix it, they rant and rave and nag and kvetch and scream for ages and nothing gets done. Totally counterproductive.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I have to say it's a little unfair to lump all Americans together. A New Yorker =/= a Virginian =/= a New Mexican. There are huge regional differences.
                          "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

I fear you are all incorrect, I'm referring to a country in Asia. >.>

I can't hang up on this particular client because their calls are seriuz bizness. They have to achieve a rather epic level of abuse for me to be able to hang up. IE if they had starting swearing I could abort.

Comment

The argue with me till the cows come home SC's are the ones I despise the most (besides the I'm better than you because I'm <insert big IT position> or I'm a male! SC's). Those ignorant assholes gave you the wrong phone number for the tech to call and they were uncooperative from the start. They may be big clients but that doesn't give them the right to treat you and everyone else at your job like shit.
                              Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 08-22-2011, 12:16 AM.
                              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
                              X