This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WiFi

We have a WiFi network at our store. It is password protected for store use only. It is not intended for customer use.

End BG.

Today, while I was running the restaurant, a couple of customers, who finished their meal, came back in with a notebook computer. They opened it up, as was running around stocking things. The gentleman came to the counter and asked me for the WiFi password.

I was shocked by this request, and told him that I don't have it, and it's for business use only.

He looked very pissed, and went back to his wife, she closed the computer and left.

I did, kinda, lie there: I do have the password to get into it, but it was in the office. There was no way in hell I was going to let them into our secure network. Too bad, so sad. They could have gone next door to the bank. They have a public WiFi network, and advertise it.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

A lot of businesses these days have free wifi, as it encourages people to hang around and buy stuff. I'm sure he assumed you would as well. Don't be too surprised when someone asks you. It's the norm now
    Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

How did he even know you have Wifi? I wouldn't assume any place had it that didn't have a sign up saying they did, in which case it would obviously be for customer use. If I don't see such a sign, I assume they don't have it or it's for business use only.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I would guess that the wifi showed up on a search of local networks. Last time I had my car in for work, the wifi for the store showed up but was a locked network. Since it was locked and there was nothing to indicate free wifi, I read a book that I had downloaded.

About 20 minutes later the manager walked over and handed me a piece of paper with the password. :-). Of course, they are my regular mechanics and I didn't harass them about it. Honey and vinegar.

Comment

I use wifi on my iPhone whenever I can (I use less of my limited data plan that way). I have my phone set so that a list of wifi networks pops up when I use any app that required Internet. If all the networks are locked I either use the AT&T network or wait until I get somewhere I can use free wifi. But then I'm not a sucky customer.

(I know of a few places I frequent that have free wifi. And my phone signs me on to my sister and brother in law's password protected network immediately cause I have the password saved.)
          Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
          Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

If your store staff is IT-savvy at all (or has somebody around that is), tell them to turn off SSID broadcast on the store network. It's still usable if you know the name of the network, but can't be seen by random schmoe without some work. Altnernately, rename it from "JOHN_DOE_COFFEE" to some other name that doesn't have your business name in it and doesn't look important; i.e. "GOOF_OFF_NET". (Don't give it an important-sounding name like "TRANSACTION_NET"; no need to attract people looking to break in and hunt around on the office network.

Comment

Ditto on what sirwired said. Come up with something hard to guess. Maybe not as hideously complex as a really good password would be, but complex.

You just need to make absolutely certain that anyone who DOES need access has the exact name (including capitalization), not just an approximation and the pass.

It does scare me how many unsecured networks are around that are called Linksys or Belkin, tho >_<
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You didn't do anything wrong. True, lots of places offer WiFi access to their customers; your job is just one of those that don't. He didn't like your answer and that's when he morphed into a jackass. The suck was all on him for acting the way he did.

Comment

It was annoying.

I do have it password protected, and it's a lot of letters and numbers. I've got it printed up in my box, if it's ever needed. If I remember correctly (and it's been a few years since I've gone into the settings) it's WEP2 secured.

And, believe me, if I could find a way to do an open network, and a secure network on the same router, I would seriously consider it. And if we did have a public network, we'd promote it, just like the bank does next door.
                  "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                    And, believe me, if I could find a way to do an open network, and a secure network on the same router, I would seriously consider it.
                    It depends on the router.

Comment

Simpler Solution

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                      And, believe me, if I could find a way to do an open network, and a secure network on the same router, I would seriously consider it. And if we did have a public network, we'd promote it, just like the bank does next door.
                      Just buy a second router.

Comment

Can't you just put a list of business client computers behind the firewall and public-access clients in the DMZ?

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                          Altnernately, rename it from "JOHN_DOE_COFFEE" to some other name that doesn't have your business name in it and doesn't look important; i.e. "GOOF_OFF_NET".
                          I read a post somewhere where someone named theirs "VIRUS_UPLOADER" to keep people out.
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                          X