This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    I considered my clients lucky and wise if they backed up the accounting data that often.
    Well, considering that the CFO at the time (she's now one of the co-owners) had mandated nightly backups... >_<

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Heh. Cool...as long as EVERYTHING gets backed up. I, and some clients, found out that hard way that "backing up the whole server system" does not always literally mean "every hard disk in the room". Far, far too often, it just means an image of the OS and programs (for rapid redeployment), profiles, security, and not much else. Docs, MAYBE. As for the accounting stuff? ~_~ QB lets you put data anywhere you like, as long as the folder is properly Shared over the Domain/WG. PT, if the version is old enough, could very well store data in C:>\PEACH\ ... does that sound like a folder a backup prog would automatically catch and ask about to you? lol In many places, the entire closet server system only gets backed up on weekends or month-ends. Dailies are often incremental backups of maybe 10-20% of actual total storage space.

One of the first things I ever do on an install/basic training is to show the primary user(s), their boss, and the IT guy how to make datafile backups from within the program. Which would you rather restore? 3 individual data files or the whole damn server? ^_^ I thought so. If the IT guy was there and even remotely competent, I would also point out the mission-critical file and folder locations for the progs, along with the default storage locations. Then I would show them all how to copy same to flash drive/CD...

Also, good luck finding places that bought more than one set of backup tapes. Ever. Even if they'd been around for decades.
      Last edited by EricKei; 09-16-2011, 01:12 AM.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Also, good luck finding places that bought more than one set of backup tapes. Ever. Even if they'd been around for decades.
        I had a temp job for a place long out of business called Crystal Lighting. They did commercial lighting supplies. I was hired for my data entry skills (I had been hired as a temp while they did their annual hand count, then brought back by request the next year, then kept on after that), and I ended up being the one to change the backup tapes every afternoon. They had three sets that rotated.

We don't use tapes, here. We have the data backed up to something like three different physical locations. Heck, our data recovery plan is probably one of the more robust you'll find without actual government mandating. We even have back-up hardware on hand so if something fails, we can swap over and keep going.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
        X