Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Gods...yeah, at least once a day at my place as well. It's been my experience that, especially in the morning, people don't listen to a SINGLE word you say. My favorite game is making up names for myself. I've used anime characters, characters from mythologies around the world, historical figures, and characters from World of Warcraft. I've gotten away with calling myself "Mary, Queen of Scots" once....
    "Some wounds grow worse beneath the surgeon's hand; better that they were not touched at all."

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
      And it ain't half and half!
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Morningchaser
        I've gotten away with calling myself "Mary, Queen of Scots" once
        I KNEW there was a reason I liked you!

In a similar vein, I have a story. I used to work with this guy T at a BK. He asked this SC what to drink with his Whopper meal. The guy simply wouldn't tell T. I mean, he asked several times until the SC said, "Just surprise me." T was so ticked because it was busy and this guy was wasting time. T said, and I quote, " 'Surprise me'?? I'll surprise him! He's gettin' a hot tea!" LOL have tea with your giant burger. Yeah, the SC was none too happy.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth EmilyRose1982 View Post
          I hate people. I hate people. I hate people. I hate people. I hate people. I hate people. I hate people. I hate people. I hate people. I hate people. I hate people. I hate people. I hate people. I hate people. I hate people. I hate people. I hate people. I hate people............................................ ....etc.
          Surprisingly, this is why I do this job; if I liked people, I'd be so disappointed to find out what idiots they all are, but 'cause I hate 'em I find joy in every one that doesn't suck.
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Morningchaser View Post
            Oh Gods...yeah, at least once a day at my place as well. It's been my experience that, especially in the morning, people don't listen to a SINGLE word you say. My favorite game is making up names for myself. I've used anime characters, characters from mythologies around the world, historical figures, and characters from World of Warcraft. I've gotten away with calling myself "Mary, Queen of Scots" once....
            Hey, I did that with name tags... I once went two months with "smiley" on my nametag without anyone noticing.
            I've before answered the phone at work "This is not Kevin speaking, how may I help you?"... they didn't notice (and hey, it's true, I am not Kevin ).

I also like to at the call center do my greeting "this is relay assisting someone who is dead or hard of hearing placing a phone call" just to see if they catch it
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Erin View Post
              people in drive-thrus dont listen.
              Fixed that for you. No charge.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Morningchaser View Post
                I've used anime characters, characters from mythologies around the world, historical figures, and characters from World of Warcraft. I've gotten away with calling myself "Mary, Queen of Scots" once....
                Why can I just see myself starting a transaction "Lok'tar ogar, friend!"...?
                "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                  Hey, I did that with name tags... I once went two months with "smiley" on my nametag without anyone noticing.
                  My brother's at "BoutiqueGrocery" back in the 90's used to read "Dancing Bear"
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Oy.

I worked at a coffee shop for a few months for holiday cash a few years ago.

My process:
                    Grab proper cup size
                    Mark drink type
                    Mark coffee type
                    Mark milk type
                    Mark flavor
                    Mark extras

This is due to the design of the cups.

Without fail, most people would order like this:
                    "I'd like a no whip, half decaf, 2 shot, vanilla latte.... medium"

So, I'd have to try to remember everything while my hand hovered over the cups, waiting for the size, so I could grab the right cup and start deciphering the order.

Another annoyance: What size? "Regular"

So, I'd give them the medium size and half the time they'd gripe as they actually meant the large size, or the small size, or a size we don't even carry.

Grrr.

Comment

Quoth Pojodan View Post
                      Another annoyance: What size? "Regular"

So, I'd give them the medium size and half the time they'd gripe as they actually meant the large size, or the small size, or a size we don't even carry.

Grrr.
                      It would be fun to post a chart that gave size conversions. It could read "regular = medium" and equivalents for all the other sizes customers come up with. Not that any of the customers would actually read it, but it would be something to point to when they ask for the non-standard sizes.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

My coffee shop uses the sizes Small, Medium and Large.

The following happens to me at least once a month:

SC: Can I get a Tall White Mocha?
                        Me: Ok, so a small white mocha?
                        SC: No, a large.
                        Me:

They REALLY don't know what size they want, because the last time I visited a Starbucks, Tall = SMALL!!!!!
                        Here's your sign...

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                          I also like to at the call center do my greeting "this is relay assisting someone who is dead or hard of hearing placing a phone call" just to see if they catch it
                          I probably wouldn't.

I've lost the part of my hearing that covers the 'plosive' sounds like 'd' and 't'. So I mostly distinguish words that include those sounds by context - thus, I'd interpret that sentence as 'deaf or hard of hearing'.

Now, if I were lip reading you at the time, I might catch it.....
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                          X