• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "But yesterday is yesterday, today is today"

SC: "Yes, I'd like to get some rates for certain dates"
    Me: "What dates exactly?"
    SC: *gives dates*
    Me: after checking the dates and quoting $169 for two adults, I waited for her reply
    SC: "But yesterday the rates were $118 per night including taxes and fees, according to my friend" (yeah sure they were, and there's unicorns living in my garden)
    Me: "That may have been the price yesterday, but depending on how busy we are, the rates can change every day, sometimes several times a day. The rates have gone up"
    SC: "But my friend said yesterday it was $118."
    Me: am I speaking klingon or something? "I'm sorry, but one of our hotels is already sold out and this one is almost sold out. The prices have gone up. We're really busy this weekend and for every weekend for at least the next five weeks."
    SC: "Uhh, but it was $118 yesterday, can't I have that rate?"
    Me: "That rates is unavailable. The rates changed late yesterday afternoon."
    SC: "But yesterday -"
    Me: Finally getting sick of it "I understand but yesterday is yesterday and today is today. The rates have changed. Do you have AAA, a member of the military AARP or anything? I do need you to understand that with any of those discounts, it will still not lower to that rate."
    SC: "But its supposed to be $118. Ok, My mom has AARP and my husband is a firemen. Will that work?"
    Me: I give her a 20% discount that STILL does not come to $118. Its now $135 plus change.
    SC: "What is it with taxes and fees included?"
    Me: I give her the total and with it included its roughly $165.
    SC: "But its supposed to be $118. It was $118 yesterday. "
    Me: Is there an echo in here? "The rates have changed. I can't lower the rate"
    Sc: "I'll have to talk to my family and call you back because the rate changed. Bye" and she hangs up.

................ ummmm, wow.

I can see it now - tomorrow.

SC - I'd like to reserve a room for (DATES).
    You- I'm sorry, we're all sold out for (DATES)
    SC - But yesterday I was told the rooms were $165. I want a room for that price.
    You - I'm sorry, but we sold out, at that price yesterday.
    SC- BLARGLE. I was PROMISED a room at $169, and you'll get it to me. This is totally false advertising. First you wouldn't honor the room rate at $118, and now you won't honor it at $169. That's bait and switch........
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

We got that today. It goes up to weekend rates starting on Fridays. SC today wanted to stay over, but pay yesterday's rate. Yeah, so not happening. We're busy, and I'm selling these rooms at the full price one way or another. I'm not cutting any deals this weekend...pay or GTFO!
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I think she figured that if she kept repeating it over & over that you'd get sick of it enough to give her the $118 rate.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
          I think she figured that if she kept repeating it over & over that you'd get sick of it enough to give her the $118 rate.
          Heh, I'm used to that trick. So much that I rarely ever bend to it. Guests don't like that but what they don't get is that this is a destination city. That means that if they won't take it, someone else will. So it doesn't really matter how whiny they are on busy days.

Comment

I had customers try to do this to me when I was at the wholesale club. Though usually it was "but last week it was..."

And my response was similar to the OP's. "Last week was last week. Prices can change. Unsold merchandise can get shipped back."
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I love how it was my 'freind' called.

I always get a kick out of that.
              My friend said
              But the person I talked to yesteryday
              When I looked at stupidlowprices.com..

of course these scenarios almost always occur in the past and there are never names attached.

Comment

Sometimes you just wanna say "what part of 'you cannot have yesterday's rate' don't you understand?"

Comment

Heh, there are times I've come real close to saying that Pepper. Real close. I'm actually surprised more people don't go off on customers with how they behave. Including me.

Comment

Quoth barainga View Post
                    When I looked at stupidlowprices.com..
                    I don't get this one too often at High End Home Store, but used to get it at Crappy Jewelry Company all the time. Sorry, but anybody can put up a website and offer coupons for 110% off any 10 items of your choice at our store...doesn't mean we sanctioned it. Here's a clue: If you click through one of those ads and it takes you to our store's home page, it's probably either a fake deal or a really old one. Give it up already.
                    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Hey I know..yesterday was the last day of free shipping from a website I buy from..maybe I can get free shipping today!!! Um..since when does reality work this way? Oh wait..right .. SC's and reality..forgot the two don't mix.
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I've had people call and tell me that they are seeing a website rate for $70-$100 off what I'm quoting. I no longer believe them when they say that, especially if I don't know the site. Mind you, there's lots of travel sites, but still. I know my manager would NEVER give that, and if he did its a mistake. If its that much, I always tell them to book online because its an online only deal. Saves me from getting in trouble.

I'm just shocked at how many people don't realize prices change.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                          I've had people call and tell me that they are seeing a website rate for $70-$100 off what I'm quoting.
                          We have Internet ads that say "Rooms starting at $35.99 a night" or something like that. That means that somewhere in the world, in some podunk little town, you'll find [our brand] with rates that low. That does NOT mean every [our brand] will have rates that low!

They will call and say "I see this $35.99 rate online." I always tell them that if they book through me, it's $50 or whatever, and if they see that rate online then they'll have to book it online to try and get that rate. To date, I've never seen a reservation come in that was booked with that rate.
                          Last edited by Dave1982; 09-29-2011, 07:00 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the entire post
                          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                            They will call and say "I see this $35.99 rate online." I always tell them that if they book through me, it's $50 or whatever, and if they see that rate online then they'll have to book it online to try and get that rate. To date, I've never seen a reservation come in that was booked with that rate.
                            Oh yeah, I know that old trick. Then you have to explain to them "If you read it, it says per person" or something. I seriously don't think most people can read. If they can, I don't they comprehend what they're reading.

Its disturbing isn't it. And the longer I stay in customer service, the worse it gets.
                            Last edited by Dave1982; 09-29-2011, 06:59 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the entire post

Comment

Working...
                            X