This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laundry Assholes (long-ish)

BG: Today was MOBBED. Holy hell. When it gets like this, I have to play referee. Which means that I have to limit the amount of certain types of machines people use. Come in on a slow day, and you have your pick of machines. Not so today. Our biggest sellers are the giants, and the smallest washers.

SC: YOU know who!
    SCH: SC's douchey husband who only seemed to know how to yell
    Me:

I notice that they are taking up 3 small washers out of a total of 8. All the rest are taken and we still have people pouring though the doors. I also notice that they have two washers set to the same cycle: warm.

Me (to SC): Are you washing those two on the same cycle? If so, you can take those two and combine them into one of our mid-sized washers (which were plentiful at the time), and it's the exact same price.

SC looks at me like I spoke Greek. I try again.

Me: Are you washing those two both on warm? (I looked at the dial)
    SC: They're cold!
    SCH: WHY ARE YOU WASHING THEM COLD??!
    (They start to bicker)
    Me: You can combine them for the same price and free up two machines. (SC gives me catbuttface like how dare I tell her what machines to use.)
    Me: Well, it's very busy in here..

They continue bickering and making a huge production out of removing their shit from the machines and heading down to the mids. Oh well, at least they are doing it. I get occupied for a moment. A few minutes later, SC is huffing and fuming, carrying a basket of clothes back to the small washers.

SC: "For your information, these could NOT all fit in there!"

It was then that I noticed that they had taken ALL 3 loads and tried to stuff them all in ONE mid-size. I tell her that I meant only the two loads. She rolled her eyes and waved me off. She remained pissy the entire time.

Sorry, but it's not my fault you:
    1)decided to do your laundry when everyone in the Tri State area decided to too. If crowds piss you off, come some other time
    2)were too busy fighting with your husband to LISTEN to what I was telling you***
    3)you take me just doing my job making sure all my customers get a fair shake SUPER PERSONAL. You weren't the only one I was refereeing today!

***Bonus Not-Listening Suck! As she was leaving (she only had to wash) I noticed that she had finally simply transferred her two smaller loads into TWO midsize machines, rather than combine them like I said. What a waste! Not listening cost them an extra four dollars, folks!

EXTRA PS BONUS! I had to ask another lady to remove her stuff right away because someone was waiting for her washer. Sometimes, people can get testy about this, too. But she was cool about it. I thanked her VERY much, and told her I appreciated her help during the crazy time, right within earshot of SC!
    "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

I hate having to go to the laundromat...no offense to anyone who works at one, such as yourself, or people who have no other choice, but it just seems to be a magnet for douchebaggery sometimes. I'm hoping soon we can get some larger capacity energy saving type machines here at home so I can wash even my large bedding items here. *cookies to Laund-o-rama Mama*
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Finding an apartment that could accommodate a washer and dryer was manna from heaven for me. I don't have time to baby sit laundry. Most of the time other users were respectful of their neighbors. But every so often some asshat would take your wet laundry out just as the cycle started and dump it on the floor, so he could steal your washer.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
        Finding an apartment that could accommodate a washer and dryer was manna from heaven for me. I don't have time to baby sit laundry. Most of the time other users were respectful of their neighbors. But every so often some asshat would take your wet laundry out just as the cycle started and dump it on the floor, so he could steal your washer.
        Our doors lock and can only be unlocked via circuitbreaker once the cycle has started. Probably for that very reason.

And believe me, I get why you hate laundromats. WHYYY does everyone come at the same time? And they all act like they can't! believe! it's so crowded!!
        "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
          Finding an apartment that could accommodate a washer and dryer was manna from heaven for me.
          I hear this. I've already picked out the apartment complex I'm going to live in when I move back to Nebraska, precisely because each apartment has its own washer and dryer.

Comment

A while ago my washer died, and the part that was needed was back ordered until the next week. I knew I would have to take two loads to the laundromat.

Even though I went when it was not crowded, I picked the appropriately sized machines and didn't personally have any encounters, but watched to "people" get into a screaming match over a empty washer near the front window, with plenty of available machines.

They were finally asked to leave when the started throwing laundry art each other.

Comment

When were you in Chicagoland? I saw just that sort of nonsense the last time I went to a laundromat (I was cleaning a comforter and our home machine couldn't accommodate it)
              Last edited by Dave1982; 09-20-2011, 03:39 PM. Reason: removed fratching comment
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

The thing I hate about the laundromat is that sooooo many people bring their little kids & don't bring anything for them to play with! So the kids run around, push the laundry carts around, or swing on the door. One time this woman had 3 or 4 kids with her and the littlest one, this toddler who was maybe two, wandered out the door and was halfway across the parking lot heading toward the street before his brother spotted him and ran out to get him. Mom never noticed.

I also hate the TVs they have in there. They're always showing 2 different programs & are turned up as loud as they can be. Total cacophony.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I admit to bringing my kids to the laudromat when they were small. HOWEVER, I also brought books, coloring books, crayons and when they were a bit older, Gameboys. And there was a pizza parlor next door, so (with the attendants knowledge) I would take them for lunch, so they would be logy enough to sit quietish. They also loved to help people fold clothes from the dryer. the attendants would let them fold towels if they had loads to handle themselves. (yes they made sure I didnt mind. )
                  Last edited by Teskeria; 09-19-2011, 01:36 AM. Reason: added coloring books

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                    They also loved to help people fold clothes from the dryer. the attendants would let them fold towels if they had loads to handle themselves. (yes they made sure I didnt mind. )
                    That's pretty neat, actually. Teaching them to fold laundry when they were young and having them eager to help out. Good job!

I'm lucky that we have a washer & dryer at our apartment, and the few times I have to use a laundromat (washing the king-sized comforter) we have a very good laundromat with lots of well-maintained machines near our place. I've had to use less-than-stellar laundromats, and that's not fun.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

The laundromats around here are never quite so bad. Then again, I tend to pick my times to go -- usually early AM on the weekend or after lunch on weekdays, when everybody is at home, getting ready to go pick up their kids from school, etc. I would never go when i know it'll be slammed x.x
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

We do have a very nice laundromat not far at all from my house, I don't mind going there too much, but I'm glad it's only maybe once or twice a year That being said...my washer is giving me fits now...wonder if the hubs can fix it this week (or call someone in).
                        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

My only problem would've been that I didn't want to mix some colors. But then, I've never seen a laundromat THAT crowded. And I go at all different times, to different ones. hmmm
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                            My only problem would've been that I didn't want to mix some colors. But then, I've never seen a laundromat THAT crowded. And I go at all different times, to different ones. hmmm
                            Yeah, there are some customers that separate everything very thoroughly. But when it is that busy, we just can't let one customer use all the machines s/he wants. Unfortunate, but what're ya gonna do?

@taxguykarl: nope, not in Chicago.
                            Last edited by Dave1982; 09-20-2011, 03:39 PM. Reason: removed a reference to a deleted comment

Comment

I lived in an appartment complex that had a communal laudromat for a month. As it was restricted to tennants, it wasn't bad, but even then I hated it.

I happily pay extra for washer/dryer in the apartment now.

Funny how my roomate's dryer decided it didn't want to dry things last night. Thankfully, we worked together and fixed it.

Comment

Working...
                              X