This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's YOU scan-- do it yourself or go away

All of a sudden towards the beginning of my shift, I see this man that every few weeks comes on the Uscan and will not do a thing himself. I'd tell him to go to a register, but he complains frequently too. He's the one a while back that tried to use several coupons for 24 packs of water saying that each coupon was for 1 bottle from it. He starts by just standing there and motioning his hand in a "come here" motion like I'm a dog. Then during his order when I was putting in something he had multiples of, a cashier that was done for the day and was shopping asked me to give her change for a dollar and then talked to me for about 5 seconds. The SC complains that I was talking to her too much she is now a customer not an employee. Considering I was putting his items in while doing it, there's no reason to make a fuss.

Also, a woman came on with only a bottle of shampoo and a free coupon for that shampoo. After using the coupon, she had 31 cents in tax left to pay. I saw her looking around and going through her purse and pockets for a few seconds and not putting any money in, so I ask her if she needs 31 cents since I have coins available that people didn't take. In a real snotty tone she says "No I obviously don't need 31 cents!" and then runs off to the other side of the store and I don't see her again.

People are nuts...and I think someone in management needs to have a chat with Mr. EW.
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth jjc927 View Post
      I see this man that every few weeks comes on the Uscan and will not do a thing himself.
      They actually had signs up at the U-scans where I shop, which said something to the effect of, "If you want us to scan your items for you, let us know." I think the signs should have said, "If you want us to scan your items for you, get to a regular register, asshole!"

Thankfully, these signs didn't stay up long. Hopefully that means someone realized it was a stupid policy and did away with it.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

As I work at the chain you're mentioning, MadMike, I can attest that our SCOs do have that sign. When people bring it up, I say "I'm sorry, but there are registers open. That's for the overnight cashier." Which is technically true. People bitch (big shocker, right?), but... They can suck it up.

It's called a SELF checkout for a reason.

Clarification: The signs actually say more to the effect of "If you would like our cashier to scan your items for you, please let them know. We're happy to serve you!" If I'm in a smartass-ish mood, I tell them "I'm the UScan attendant. The people at the registers are cashiers." It does say ATTENDANT STATION right on the front of the podium. >.>
        Last edited by Draco; 09-19-2011, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Quoth Draco View Post
          Clarification: The signs actually say more to the effect of "If you would like our cashier to scan your items for you, please let them know. We're happy to serve you!"
          That sounds about right. And it looks like you're in the same general area as I am.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

The store I used to work at recently had a renovation and removed the SCO. In a way I'm surprised, because we were constantly told how customers liked them and demanded our store have them. Then again, they were a huge loss for us, because people knew how to come through SCO and rob us blind. I'm guessing that's why they were ultimately removed. No big loss, SCOs always brought out the sucky behavior in people.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Sounds not unlike my old SC at the wholesale club, Mr. I-Hate-Self-Check-Outs.

He refused to follow the proper procedure, complained endlessly about how they needed to be programmed better-- he flat-out stated that he should be allowed to scan his items as he likes instead of following the procedure-- and because of this, always had to have someone standing by to override the system to get him through, and to absorb his verbal abuse.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I wonder if you can have an employee take their nametag off, get a bunch of items and stand behind him, sighing obviously throughout the transaction. If he asks for help from that employee, have the employee say "I don't work here sir. If you don't know how to scan your own items your at the wrong register... Now MOVE!"

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The more idiot proof they make the SCOs, by not only TELLING you what to do but also showing PICTURES for instance, the worse idiots get. It truly is amazing. Depressing, but amazing.

Comment

I read in the paper today that another major grocery store has given up on self-checkouts because they discovered human cashiers are more effective at stopping theft.
                    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

i like them, but the errors occur due to my not paying attention/being tired, etc.
                      seeing how they are potential thief magnets, removing them wouldn't be that great of a loss.

mr. sc, learn to follow simple directions and DO IT YERSELF, you lazy putz.
                      look! it's ghengis khan!
                      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
                      X