This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You don't understand, I CAN'T!!!

I saw the customer pull up in the parking lot and knew it would be my job. 1968 Firebird. Beautiful car if you don't mind ancient technology. I still enjoy working my alignment magic on them though.

Nice older guy, it is his son's car and they've put a ton of money into the restoration. I respect that. The old girl took some work to get started. Piss poor job getting the carburetor adjusted properly, in my opinion. Finally got it fired up and took the pre-alignment test drive. Steering wheel straight, no pulls, but the damn thing wandered all over the place.

Put it up on the lift and as I jacked up the front axle, the right front wheel moved abut 3 inches at the top. And my day just got more sucky. As I and the customer investigated, I saw that it was the worst possible fail. The rear bolt that holds the upper control arm to the frame was really loose. (sorry, you'll just have to google it)

I opened the hood to find out that what was underneath was NOT what the emblem on the hood scoops said it was. This was NOT a small block 350 Chevy. If it were, reaching that loose bolt would be easy.

This was a big block. It took up a whole lot more space in the engine compartment than the original did. And it had headers, which further limited my access to the loose bolt. Oh and it had aftermarket air conditioning and an aftermarket mounting bracket. Both of which completely isolated that bolt from human hands.

After trying every possible angle to reach the bolt, for I don't give up easily, I told the customer "you need to leave this with me" especially since it was still at near-operating-temperature and I was burning my hands and arms. He was cool about it and called the mechanic who'd done the work and sent him to us for the alignment.

Unfortunately my boss, the owner of the shop who'd been doing alignments 40+ years ago, was at lunch leaving his son in charge who just didn't quite understand what I was trying to tell him.

As the customer was on the phone, boss came back early. God bless him! The customer handed his phone to me so I could explain the situation to the restoration mechanic while the boss looked the car over.

I couldn't get a word in edgewise with the asshole. He kept talking over me and finally said "if you'd just shut up I'll tell you how to do it!"

I handed the phone to the boss and said "he doesn't want to hear it from me, YOU talk to him!" and the look on my face told the boss I was done being patient. So the boss explained that the aftermarket air conditioning compressor and accumulator would have to be removed while I complimented the customer on the quality of his car.

He left and given the attitude of the resto mechanic who referred him, I don't know if he'll be back or not. Guy got called on some shitty work and bad design in his fitting of the a/c parts so I hope he holds a grudge and sends his alignments elsewhere in the future.

At least I'm happy with the boss for taking my side in this. I heard him tell the resto mechanic that I've got too much work to do to be tied up on this all day.
    Proud Oath Keeper and 3 Percenter!

Big Block Power

ZZ572R, perhaps?

Comment

Anyone ever tell you that you have a knack for writing? Even though I know zip about cars and engines, I got what you were talking about, and enjoyed the story. Kinda reads a bit like a noir novel.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Get the guy to have you do a modern restomod on it
        "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Love Restomods. That's why I love watching "Overhaulin" on Netflix.
          I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Frantic Freddie View Post
            Get the guy to have you do a modern restomod on it
            If I had the money (and was safe to drive), I'd get a restomodded classic Beetle.

I didn't know there was a name for it. But I did know I wanted the look & feel of a classic Beetle, but the safety features of a modern car.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              If I had the money (and was safe to drive), I'd get a restomodded classic Beetle.

I didn't know there was a name for it. But I did know I wanted the look & feel of a classic Beetle, but the safety features of a modern car.
              http://www.unfinishedman.com/herbie-...swagen-beetle/

Drool on this. I'm not really into Bugs or Porsches, but this is seriously cool.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post

I'm going to break your heart with this story.

My dad and my sister spent all summer in 1992 resurrecting a 1963 Super Beetle using dad's know-how, two dead Beetles they bought cheap from my dad's mechanic buddy*, and a lot of consulting with online VW nuts and the full tech manual for the car.

They finally got it done, completely rebuilt engine, all the panels perfect, new interior hand-made by dad, and a five-layer paint job (black-purple-clear-clear-clear). It ran perfectly, and looked incredible.

In less than a week, my sister slid on a wet highway on-ramp and hit the curb sideways. Tore the wheels on the driver's side right off the axles and broke the drive train.

The poor, short-lived, resurrected Super Beetle was parted out. The body sold to one fellow, the engine to another.

*It's surprising how many people will drop a car off with a mechanic then skip town. This guy makes decent money on the side filing salvage on cars abandoned on his lot, then parting them out, or selling them whole bulk.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  I'm going to break your heart with this story.

Yes, yes you did. What a shame. But neat that your dad and your sister had such a great project! I wish I could have done something cool with my dad.

Comment

My dad and my sister spent all summer in 1992 resurrecting a 1963 Super Beetle using dad's know-how, two dead Beetles they bought cheap from my dad's mechanic buddy*, and a lot of consulting with online VW nuts and the full tech manual for the car.
                    1963 Super Beetle? The Super Beetle was introduced in 1971. Perhaps it was a 1973 model?
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

<snip> It's surprising how many people will drop a car off with a mechanic then skip town.
                      My dad's mate used to have this problem! He had a huge warehouse space, the back part had around 15-20 closely parked abandoned cars that he wanted to do up. All old cars that would have been gorgeous if he'd had the time to do the various projects.
                      Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Working...
                      X