This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't have time to listen to that!

Working in technical support for the internet, we deal with all kinds of customers. Much of the time, people can be pleasant enough, but other times, customers can be so rude and unreasonable it's not funny.

Take people for instance who are in a hurry when they call in, and later on, when they get their phone bill or internet bill, they'll call raising hell about how they were "never told they would be billed for that!" In our e-mail cache, I dealt with a woman who was griping about her $40 connection charge on her phone, and how nobody told her about this charge. But, upon reading the notes, the rep that took her order noted in great detail how this customer was not interested in disclosure statements, telling her to "hurry up" because she was "in a big hurry" and "did not have time to hear about that." When she e-mailed our department, her beef was that she was not being treated equally as a customer because she had to pay this charge. My pleasant reply was that we actually were treating her equally, being all customers are charged a connection fee when they move their service or install a new one. I further advised her that unequal treatment would be if some customers were charged and others were not. Now, she has had her phone disconnected for non payment because she has decided upon herself to pay her bill and just deduct this $40 for it, even after supervisors have all told her "no" to it. I was able to offer a $20 credit, but of course, this was not acceptble, because again, "nobody told me I would be charged for that."

Then, we have the lady who moved her internet business somewhere else, but refuses to fax in her request, which is a requirement my company has on all business accounts. We have called her three times to get her to do this, and every time, it's "I don't have time for this, so you need to call me later on." Two of those calls were mine, and I told her that we did not need to call her back later on being we already have provided her with the information she needs to get her account disconnected. As of now, she is paying two companies for internet service, and the arguments have been quite heated due to her non cooperation.

If you don't have time to listen to this, why are you calling? Is it a ploy to get out of charges you already know you will be billed?

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Or, in this case, ignorance of the standard charges that you refused to listen to.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
      Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Or, in this case, ignorance of the standard charges that you refused to listen to.
      Why not just call it "selective hearing"?

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        yes, but in the SC's mind this falls under the Law of Ignorance, code 15: If I don't know it, you can't charge it.
        Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

Comment

We deal with this all the time. When we set up requests for customers to send in units under repair, they are told that if the unit has liquid, lightning, smoke, burn or physical damage, they will be billed time and materials for the repair. Doesn't matter if the unit is under warranty, under contract or being billed for flat rate repair. It is what it is. Yet, people still call in to dispute invoices stating that they were unaware of this policy.

And this?
          Now, she has had her phone disconnected for non payment because she has decided upon herself to pay her bill and just deduct this $40 for it, even after supervisors have all told her "no" to it. I was able to offer a $20 credit, but of course, this was not acceptble, because again, "nobody told me I would be charged for that."
          This is hilarious. I wish my cable/internet provider would let me make up my own bill.
          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
            We deal with this all the time. When we set up requests for customers to send in units under repair, they are told that if the unit has liquid, lightning, smoke, burn or physical damage, they will be billed time and materials for the repair. Doesn't matter if the unit is under warranty, under contract or being billed for flat rate repair. It is what it is. Yet, people still call in to dispute invoices stating that they were unaware of this policy.

And this?

This is hilarious. I wish my cable/internet provider would let me make up my own bill.
            Yes. Customers out there think that because they paid whatever they felt like paying, their service will not be interrupted, regardless of what they have already been told. That would be like buying a $22,000 car at $350 per month, but only paying $200 per month because you hated the monthly rate!

Comment

makes me wish that ALL conversations between customers and techs and customers and representatives were recorded, so when they try this stunt, the proofs right there, in their own voice.

refute that, ya beeyotch!
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                Yes. Customers out there think that because they paid whatever they felt like paying, their service will not be interrupted, regardless of what they have already been told. That would be like buying a $22,000 car at $350 per month, but only paying $200 per month because you hated the monthly rate!
                I had a non-pay disconnect call in a few days ago:

Me: You've been cut off for non-payment.
                Customer: But I pay my bill every month!
                Me: Yes. Yes you do. But, you pay $40 and your bill is $110 a month.
                Customer: I can only afford $40.

Alas, I suck as a customer service representative because I suggested she had too many services for her budget. A good rep would have said, "Feel free to pay whatever you feel like paying. We're okay with that." At least that was her version of sucky rep vs. good rep.

Going back to original post, subscribing to cable and internet is a long process, mostly because everything has to be explained in minute detail... installation charges, package prices, promos, etc., etc., etc. And yet...

Customer: I want to set up cable and internet service.
                Me: Okay. First thing we need to do is go over some details.
                Customer: I don't have time. I'm on my cell phone while I'm driving on the interstate.

Alas, I suck as a customer service rep because I suggested he call back at a better time. A good rep wouldn't have it seen anything unusual about this situation.
                I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post
                  Customer: I want to set up cable and internet service.
                  Me: Okay. First thing we need to do is go over some details.
                  Customer: I don't have time. I'm on my cell phone while I'm driving on the interstate.
                  Don't even get me started! My techs love to call in, knowing full well that it takes more than 30 seconds to complete a call, and state that they're in a hurry/don't have the case info/are planning to be as obnoxious as possible because they're driving and cannot give me their full attention.
                  "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Yes, it would be nice to be able to record what I tell people so they can't call back and complain that they "weren't informed". Yes you were, I informed you myself, you just weren't listening.

We also get a lot of people who don't want to be consulted by the pharmacist about their new meds. I guess having the pharmacist tell them a few pointers on the chemical they're about to ingest is a fate worse than death. I don't know.
                    Bonus points if they call back when it's really busy to ask questions that they would have been told if they'd allowed the pharmacist to do her spiel.

And then, there's the dumbasses who won't give up until the pharmacist gives them "permission" to do whatever it was they wanted to do with their meds. One girl called last friday 3 TIMES to ask if it was ok to drink alcohol with her metronidazole. Now, we tell everyone to NOT drink alcohol with this med, because you will most likely be bowing before the porcelain god if you do. God lady, just have an O'doules. It's all good.

Comment

These are the same people who don't bother reading contracts and agreements they sign and then bitch about some charge they "were never told about".

Sorry dude, you sign the paper, the law says we told you. Whether you listened or not is none of our concern.

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post

Alas, I suck as a customer service representative because I suggested she had too many services for her budget. A good rep would have said, "Feel free to pay whatever you feel like paying. We're okay with that." At least that was her version of sucky rep vs. good rep.
                        Yes, Bellsouth has this policy. Even if a customer tells you what is in their budget, you are supposed to ignore that and instead talk the customer into keeping the services they really cannot afford. I worked in a department that handled special requests, like disabilities. Yet, one manager we had, shortly after coming over, decided to make that a sales department as well, and that we needed to ignore customers that tell you they are on a limited budget and can only afford $x per month.

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
                          One girl called last friday 3 TIMES to ask if it was ok to drink alcohol with her metronidazole.
                          I really wish I hadn't googled what that med was for. Who has the brain bleach, please?

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post

But she needs it and she's on a FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIXED IIIIIIIIIINCOOOOOOOME.
                            I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
                            "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Quoth Buglady View Post
                              I really wish I hadn't googled what that med was for. Who has the brain bleach, please?
                              There are perfectly non-gross reasons for it. I am on metronidazole cream for my rosacea.
                              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Working...
                              X