This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond Belief: Out of Stock

Yesterday was mostly a good day. I sold several computers to really nice people who listened to what I had to say and at least considered it before making their decisions. But there were two customers...

This week, my store is running some pretty good sales. We got most of the sale stuff last week, but one shipment ran late. It's coming in today. Customers were usually understanding of this situation and had no problem coming in later in the week to get what they want.

Then there was the foreign student couple. I'm fairly sure they're going to the university here in town. Accent sounds like Eastern Europe. They came in, looked around for a few minutes, and found me. Pointing to a picture in the weekly ad, Girl Student tells me she wants to buy a sale laptop.
    Me: I'm sorry. I'm sold out. We sold the last two yesterday night, and we sold the display this morning.
    GS: What?
    Me: I'm sold out.
    (Now she's stunned. She doesn't say another word. She just stares at me.)
    Boyfriend: You don't have any?
    Me: I did, but they have all been sold.
    BF: You have more in back?
    Me: No. We're sold out. (Checking inventory just to be sure what I'm about to tell him is accurate) But I have several more coming in on tomorrow afternoon's delivery truck.
    BF: But, we need this computer.
    Me: I have several others similar to it, if you'd like to look at those. Otherwise, you'll have to come back tomorrow afternoon. I'll have more then.
    BF: Oh. Okay. We come back tomorrow.
    They turn to leave, and, as they're stepping out of the department, I see Boyfriend put his arm around Girl Student's shoulders. I think nothing of it. Moments later, the department supervisor came up to me and asked if I had talked to that couple that just left. When I told him I had, he asked, "What did you say to them? She was crying!"

Crying. Tears and sobbing. Over waiting one more day to get her computer. I can sympathize with the inconvenience, but I don't think it's worth crying over.

Skip ahead two hours.

A lady comes in wearing a freshly pressed business suit. Guess she thought it made her look more important. She glanced at the row of display laptops and asked me, "Where are your 17-inch laptops."
    Me: I'm sold out at the moment.
    Business Woman: (Trying to look down her nose at me, which is difficult because I'm about 6 inches taller) What?
    Me: I usually carry them. Two different models, in fact. But I'm sold out right now.
    BW: Don't lie to me!
    Me: Seriously. I usually have them, just not right now. The manufacturer is in the middle of replacing some older models with newer ones. We sold out of the old ones early last week. We had four of the new models come in late last week, but those sold out as well. We're expecting more tomorrow.
    BW: Ha! You think you can fool me? Don't play games. Where are your 17-inch laptops?!
    Me: (Flatly) On a truck. It's probably just pulling out of the warehouse in California where our shipments come from.
    BW: Listen, you. I don't know what kind of trick you're trying to pull. All I want to know is where your 17-inch laptops are, and you're giving me the run-around. Either you have them, or you don't. Don't give me these lines about "just not right now." Now tell me truthfully: Where? Are? They?
    Me: On a truck. In California. They'll be here tomorrow.
    BW: (Harumphs) Oh! I don't believe this. I'm leaving. If I come back next week and you don't have those 17-inch laptops, I'll have your job!

She was just annoying. Right at that moment, though, I had some other customer poke his head out of the networking aisle and ask, "What the hell was that all about?" A nice conversation with him, both of us mocking Business Woman, got me calmed down quickly.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

I'll have your job!

Yeah. I find a nice reponse to this is "Honey, you don't WANT my job."

Comment

I'll have your job
      *takes name tag off and uniform shirt (i wear another shirt underneath); hand it to the customer* "There you go, now, WHERE THE HELL ARE YOUR 17" LAPTOPS? And don't give me the run around. I DEMAND TO HAVE ONE NOW!!!!!!!!!"
      "They have the internet on computers now?"
      ~Homer Simpson

Another day at work, another broken desk

Comment

That's enough to make one feel like Dr. Evil, i.e. "Why must I be surrounded by frickin' idiots?"

If it had been me, that 2nd woman might've gotten a response something like this:

Me: "I'm sorry, ma'am. Just hang on a moment while I reach into my Bag of Unlimited Holding, which just happens to be slightly psychic so that it contains every item you could ever possibly want, and retrieve that computer for you! Oh... wait... that's right... I'm afraid I can't actually do that after all, because that Bag of Holding only exists in the FANTASY world of the Dungeons & Dragons game! So, in that case... Door's to your left!"
        "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
        --StanFlouride

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts
          BW: Listen, you. I don't know what kind of trick you're trying to pull. All I want to know is where your 17-inch laptops are, and you're giving me the run-around.
          Right, because you woke up that morning and said, "I think that if anybody comes in wanting a 17" laptop, I'll tell them WE DON'T HAVE ANY! HAHAHAHAHAHA! Perfect!"

I dunno, I always assume that people have just had a bad day before they came across me. But still: check your attitude at the door, people!
          ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Wonder if the 2nd woman was an attorney. Reminds me of an attorney I worked for. Yeesh.
            The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

[QUOTE=HawaiianShirts]BW: Ha! You think you can fool me? Don't play games. [/ QUOTE]

Was she some kind of cheesy superhero?

Comment

maybe more like an evil genius, sans genius.

out of stock, hmm. i wonder what THAT means...?
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

If the world did in fact come to an end when a store was briefly out of stock on something, none of us would be alive right now.

:shuddering: What a thought.

Anyhoo, why do people act like that? If something's out of stock, come back at a later time...get a rain check...go to another store...shop online. Losers.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Jack T. Chance
                    If it had been me, that 2nd woman might've gotten a response something like this:

Me: "I'm sorry, ma'am. Just hang on a moment while I reach into my Bag of Unlimited Holding, which just happens to be slightly psychic so that it contains every item you could ever possibly want, and retrieve that computer for you! Oh... wait... that's right... I'm afraid I can't actually do that after all, because that Bag of Holding only exists in the FANTASY world of the Dungeons & Dragons game! So, in that case... Door's to your left!"
                    Jack=Gord reincarnated! Love it!
                    Who is this rectal-cranial inverted twit....and where is my sledgehammer??

Comment

Quoth Jack T. Chance
                      afraid I can't actually do that after all, because that Bag of Holding only exists in the FANTASY world of the Dungeons & Dragons game!
                      Actually in the real world, we just call it a purse.

Comment

She's probably not used to people saying 'no' to her, in this case, "not right now." Sounds like she couldn't comprehend what you were sayin, she's hearing the "right now" part, just not the "not" part. A typical case of selective hearing, possibly.
                        This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Purse Vs. Bag of Holding

Quoth Tria
                          Actually in the real world, we just call it a purse.
                          Not true. Bags of Holding do not exist in the real world, as they are a MAGICAL item. The opening of the bag is actually a portal to another dimension, a dimension that is much larger than the interior of the bag itself. In that regard, it's rather like the TARDIS in Doctor Who. For that reason, a Bag of Holding can hold items many times its size, as long as they can fit through the opening of the bag. A bag the size of a pillowcase could, therefore, hold a 50' long siege ladder with no problem at all!

Also, since the items in the bag are in another dimension, their weight does not affect the weight of the bag. Thus, a D&D character can tote around 2,000 pounds of loot, and all he ACTUALLY has to carry on his person is the weight of the Bag of Holding itself, which is usually only about a pound or so!

For us RPG junkies, the Bag of Holding is one of the most massively useful ideas anyone ever had. Too bad they don't exist in real life!
                          "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                          --StanFlouride

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid
                            I'll have your job!

Yeah. I find a nice reponse to this is "Honey, you don't WANT my job."

Or, what I wish I could say: "Take my job. Then I wouldn't have to deal with jerks/arseholes/beyotches like you."
                            Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

You sound like you know my pain Hawaiian. We've had a severly low stock of notebooks ourselves. We ended up getting tons in last night. Well I had a lady call today and said "I need you to hold this laptop". Well normally we don't, I explain this and the magical "someone else" comes up who says of course...that I can. I told her I'd check how many. We end up having 22 of this particular sale notebook, I tell her and preceed to let her know with that many there is no need for me to hold said product. She then yells about how I'm not doing my job and how I won't hold this product for her for the evening. Reguardless, she'll come in tonight won't find one with her name on it but will see about 20 of the notebooks she so frantically wanted me to hold.

Comment

Working...
                              X