Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This b@#%h wrote for Time Magazine (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only complaint that seems reasonable is the first one. Perhaps the owner was making a joke, which the lady failed to get, but it does seem a bit confrontational to say that you're going to charge someone extra, without making it clear that you are joking.

The tape thing is a bit peculiar. I can understand why the clerk doesn't want to be giving out vast quantities of tape to all comers (although this is a US Post Office and the clerk has to buy her own sticky tape?????Seems odd to me) but presumably she has a brain in her head and can see how much tape it would take to stick down an envelope. If she's so protective of her tape, perhaps she should have it under her desk where the grockles* can't see it.

This whole letter, though, has the tone that I have come to expect from the sort of people who move to "idyllic country villages" and then complain that the cocks crow every morning, the pig farm smells and the tractors block the roads in the mornings. Its a village, not a theme park. People work there. Get over yourself.

*grockles; rude term for non-local people, or summer people, or tourists. In some areas, anyone who doesn't come from at least five generations of local folk, or anyone who has lived in the area for less than 65 years.
    A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
    - Dave Barry

Comment

Granted, I used copy centers a lot more in less technologically advanced times, but I never saw any pressure warnings posted--and if newer machines are more sensitive, we've lost something as a civilisation. Sounds like the proprietor was looking for a way to be a hero.

Even if she was wrong to let her dog urinate there, her complaint at least brought the issue to consciousness--I've heard far more about using bags to clean up solid dog waste than about where to let or not let dogs urinate. In fact, I don't remember ever hearing my many friends with dogs and/or green thumbs indicate this was a problem at all.

The postal worker was just hoping to more easily learn about the by reading what she was sending.

Maybe she was on Candid Camera?
      I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix
        And why the clerk is having to purchase her own tape is beyond me. On the other hand, the customer could have been just enough of a turd to the cashier that she didn't put anyone in much of a mood to go above and beyond for her....
        Even Post Offices operate on a budget. If it was late in the fiscal year (summertime usually) and the POs budget was extrememly tight, they might have been cutting costs by cutting back on "miscellaneous office supplies" instead of cutting personnel or actual service.

Comment

It sounds like every clerk in town that dealt with that person, along with the editor that recieved the letter and personally handed it to cufflinks recognized this person for what they were - an outsider, and treated them accordingly.

I couldn't resist that one, apologies to cufflinks. What I really think is that this person expected to be recognized and treated like royalty. This person wasn't and now they are writing letters to the local paper about how rude everyone in town is. That's a fabulous way to forge a relationship with the strangers in your new home.

Comment

Quoth Araby
            I couldn't resist that one, apologies to cufflinks. What I really think is that this person expected to be recognized and treated like royalty. This person wasn't and now they are writing letters to the local paper about how rude everyone in town is. That's a fabulous way to forge a relationship with the strangers in your new home.
            I wouldn't be surprised if the person was one of those rich idiots who decides to move to the country....and is then pissed because the nearest mall is 500 miles away, or simply because there aren't any similar "wealthy" people around. People like that piss me off.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Ok a couple of things about the copy machine thing. If you have a larger stack of originals, say a book or magazine and you do your copies on the glass most people would feel the need to press down on the lid of the copier. In most cases the lid is also the feeder, there are gears, clutches, and the feed assembly. The lid/feeder is attached by hinges (yeah I know duh) but the machines generally put into service for self service are lower quality machines that are beat to hell by customer abuse (I'm sure that Kinkoid can confirm this one). When you press down on the feeder you can break the hinges if you press to hard.

Another thing about the copy story.... Almost all copy shops will charge for any and all self service copies including mistakes. If this lady had made several copies of any of the pages (trying to get the best copy, had some shadowing, reduce to fit, etc) the owner may have been telling her that because she made 9 copies of the that page she would have to pay for it. Or that the machine knew she was running 9 copies and would be charged for 9 total. Think about it, if the owner/attendant/sabertooth guinnee pig was walking by and just looked at her stack of originals, on the glass no less, how could he possibly know how many she had. If he knew, then he should be in vegas and not running a copy shop!!!
              My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

...but 'tissue costs you nothing'.
                another case of someone spouting off garbage; some of those tissue packages run four dollars or more for a few measly sheets. while i'm pretty sure you get it wholesale, it still costs money. saying it's free is asinine; if they think it's free, then they can feel free to go into a store, bring up a pack and try to walk out with it, using the same logic.

costs nothing my butt; just like the tape, because it costs THEM nothing, it must also cost you nothing, and therefore is free for pubic use.

cheapskates...
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth protege
                  I wouldn't be surprised if the person was one of those rich idiots who decides to move to the country....and is then pissed because the nearest mall is 500 miles away, or simply because there aren't any similar "wealthy" people around. People like that piss me off.

Exactly, and why would a copy center or a post office care how much money a customer had...
                  (example) I mean is some extremely wealthy person going to make 1000 color copies of something because they can afford it, and the clerk at the counter is going to lick their toes.
                  Or maybe some wealthy woman in a fur coat is going to walk into the post office and send that fur coat first class registered, insured for $10,000.oo then buy 15,000 stamps then recieve glorious reams of tape in every color of the rainbow from the postal employee, because their commision check is going to be huge for that sale.

How much money you have makes no difference, besides if that same woman in the fur coat walks by with her champion poodle with a diamond necklace on and
                  pisses on the flowers I am still going to say something, I don't care if they use $100 bills to wipe the dogs butt!

Ok, I am calming down now.
                  Reality is mearly one's own perspective and perception, each has a different perspective and perception of what that might be. None are necesarily wrong.
                  -no one of any significance-

Comment

Working...
                  X