This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Naming of the Dead: a mystery

Yesterday, this lady came in saying that she ordered a book a month ago and hadn't heard anything from us. She wanted to know if it had arrived, and if not, how long it was going to be because it was a gift.

Ok...here's what happened.

I go and look in the Order Cabinet for the book. It's not there.
    I come out and bring up the order on the computer. It lists the order number, customers name and the ISBN. No title. It also says that the book is not available yet. I tell her this and she says that it is available because her son bought it.

I look up the ISBN and find out the book is The Naming of the Dead by Ian Rankin. It just came out in hardback around Christmas. She ordered the paperback, which wasn't due out until October 2007. The following is the conversation which took place:

Me: me
    C: customer

M: Hmm...I see you ordered the paperback format of The Naming of the Dead. It isn't out until October. I'm sorry. Did you want to wait or want a refund.

C: I don't want a refund, I want the book. The boy who I dealt with told me it would take a week. It has been a month. He never said it wasn't available!

M: Well, I don't know what to tell you, but it isn't out yet. Are you sure your son has the paperback version?

C: Yes I am sure! I even read it. See, I can tell you what The Naming of the Dead comes from: (goes on to explain..blah blah)

M: Well, that's nice but maybe he had the large format paperback (in between size of hb and pb, a bit cheaper than hb)?

C: No! I know what I read. It was the small paperback. So,why are you telling me it isn't available?

M: I'm telling you it isn't available because it isn't available. I could have told you that it wasn't available without looking it up on the computer. The hb just came out. Perhaps he bought it at an airport store, they have paperbacks come in before regular retailers, although it is rather early for the to have it"

C: No, he bought it at....thinking.....a normal book store.

M: Maybe he bought it from America? I am from there and I know that we always got books and movies before you get them here.

C: No, the machine must be wrong, but what can I do?

M: I can really only offer you a refund, sorry.

So, she takes her refund, still insiting that she read the paperback.

Now, I still say it is too early for an airport shop or America to have the paperback...and she should know if she read a paperback or a hardback...and she obviously read the book, cause she knew the story. So, anyone have any suggestions? What the hell happened?

UNLESS......I just thought about this.....maybe her son got ahold of a sample store copy??? But then again, they only send those out for books that go straight to paperback. At least thats what I believe from my experiance. And we rarely get samples from top authors...usually get them from up and coming authors so we can give feedback. I am befuddled!
    "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

According to bn.com that book isn't available in hardcover in the US until April 2. ??? No mass market paperback even listed yet.

When I worked in the stores we got advanced copies for all kinds of stuff (pre-hardcover) but not the really big stuff (ie, stuff that has a strict-on-sale date). Ian Rankin is definitely a SOS author, so I doubt there'd be an advance copy floating around. I don't know about the UK, though...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Maybe she was full of it, and realized that she was wrong.

Comment

or maybe she simply doesn't know the difference between a paperback and a hardcover and didn't want to admit her ignorance? Either way, she needs a clue-by-four upside the head. (I have one made of foam pool noodles with "CLUE BY FOUR" written along it in black marker LOL)
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
        X