This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to a donations customer

Thank you so much for your recent donation. I appreciate how you dumped it in the bookdrop while we were closed instead of taking it to the service desk during business hours........it's always great to have extra items to empty out of our bins in the morning! Extra points for your donation being a nearly 30 year-old set of books, because this is definitely something which the librarians will want to add to our collection!

*Just in case anyone might not see where/why this is sucky, customers really aren't supposed to leave donated items in our bookdrops, and I guess they don't always think about whether the library really could use something before donating it*

Just because a book is thirty years old, that does not mean it's worthless. A while ago I was cleaning out a book collection before a move, and was expecting to get maybe $10 per box I took to the second-hand bookshop. For one box, the bookshop owner offered me $50. I didn't have time to check it out myself, so I accepted. I've since discovered which book it was, that it was thirty years old, and that it was worth maybe $500.

Comment

Yeah, might not be worthless to a bookshop, who will likely sell it to a collector, but it might not be something a library could use. They're also not going to be calling in a rare book seller for any book they can't use, they just won't make enough money for it to be worth it. So, just dumping books you don't have a use for into the overnight book drop is very sucky.
      "I'm starting to see a pattern in the men I date" - Miss Piggy, Muppet Treasure Island

I'm writing!! Check out the blog.

Comment

Oh, I definitely agree that these books may have had some value to a used bookseller.......they were in decent condition and all, just that the information was really outdated, and the library won't add that sort of thing to the collection. (unless it was a REALLY rare book, and then it would be sent to a special collection in the main library).

Comment

Working...
        X