This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Why is this so difficult??"

I'm training at a new-to-me account today, one that mainly involves answering phones.

The phone system and employee directory here is - in a word - broken. There's actually two companies here, and one has a phone directory application and the ohter just has a freaking Excel spreadsheet with names and extensions. There are no departments, job titles, managers, direct reports, or anything else listed. So aside from a VERY limited number of exceptions (A/P, A/R, stuff like that) we simply CAN'T connect a caller to a person without a name.

Oh, and they recently switched from 4 digit extensions to 7 digit extensions, so if you give me an old 4 digit extension I will still need the name to I can determine the 3 digit prefix for their number.

Of course, the SC can't be blamed for any of the above, but when they can when they simply refuse to cooperate.....

Me: [Company] how can I direct your call?

SC: Ring extension 1234 please.

Me: I'm sorry but I'm going to need a name.

SC: Extension 1234.

Me: Ma'am that extension is no longer valid. We've switched to 7 digit extensions so I need the name to--

SC: No, you don't need a name. Just ring extension 1234! I'm trying to [BLARGLE!!!].

Me: I still need the name ma'am.

SC: WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT?!

Because you are refusing to answer a simple question, that's why!!

We ended up taking a guess at the prefix (there's about 10 of them, but there's 2 really common ones).

Oops, that was wrong! So she called back.

SC: Extension 1235.

Me: I still need a name.

SC:............................................... ......................................

Me: *sighs; takes another guess*

Thankfully, the guy who was training me traded places with me at this point so I could take a break....and she called back again!

Maybe it was because she was talking to a different person, but all of a sudden she had a name. Needless to say, neither extension she'd given us was even clos to correct.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

My best guess: She was an asshole.

Or maybe I'm just in a bad mood.

Although frankly, I've had calls like this. My dept. is NOT the freakin' directory assistance, but everybody knows our number so they call us.

Caller: Give me display.
    Me: For what kind of advertising?
    Caller: Display advertising!
    Me: Yes, sir, but what are you advertising? Autos, real estate, restaurants--
    Caller: I'm a local business.
    Me (sigh): A retail store? A restaurant? A movie theater? An auto dealer?
    After several more fruitless attempts to pry the information out of the customer, they will eventually say: Just give me John Jones! (or whoever)
    WELL, WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

This is just absurd.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
      X