This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does assuming make you?

At the start of this year, certain areas that we provide service to had a tax increase. Now, everyone should have known about the increases well in advance, as it had been all over the news in the months prior (the sales tax increase was going to fund a new stadium for our local losing team). I figured that there would be some people who would be upset about their bill going up a couple cents, and prepared myself for the calls.

There were none.

I will admit, I was shocked, but pleased.

People start sending in payments in January, and I notice that some people wrote out checks for the old amount, or had automatic bill pay set up with their bank and hadn't adjusted the amount due. Because of this, these people still owed a penny or two on their account.

And thats where this woman comes in. I will call her BAD, as she made me want to Bang Angrily on Desk with my head.

February statements go out, and a couple days later BAD calls.

ME: Thank you for calling, how can I help you?
    BAD: I have a problem with my bill.
    ME: Okay, well, lets take a look at that, can I have your acct information....Ok, so I have a copy of you recent statement pulled up. What seems to be the problem?
    BAD: It says that I have a past due balance of .01.
    ME: [Yeop, sure does....she forgot to send in the correct amoutn last month. Ok, no biggy...I assume that her next question is going to be why did her bill go up, so I attempt to counter it] Well, there was that sales tax increase in your area at the start of the year, which is why your bill increased by one cent.
    BAD: But one penny! What, do you expect me to send in a check for .01?!?! Do people do that?!?!?!
    ME:[Goo. Ok, maybe she is afraid that she will get a late fee...lets try this again] Nooo, you can just send in your payment for $xx.xx as opposed to your new monthly bill of $yy.yy. No late fee has been added onto your account, as we realize that sometimes payments are made out for the wrong amount.
    BAD: Is this going to affect my credit score!!! Do you report to the credit agencies!?!?!

Head, meet desk.

What I wanted to say was, "why yes, we do report to all the major credit agencies, along with a few secret ones that you know nothing about. Currently, your credit score in plumenting by the second, all due to the penny you shorted us! Now, if there is nothing else, I must end this call so that I can join my coworkers in eating puppies."

What I actually said was just a drawn out nooo, as my brain tried to grasp what thei woman had just asked.

To report to the credit companies, we first need to submit you into collections. Doing that costs money...more money then a lousy penny.

The sad thing, I actually gave her the benefit of the doubt. I thought that she was sane and had a legit complaint.

Silly me.

While I don't think any company would bother with reporting a customer late to any credit agency for 1 cent, it is a legitimate question to ask if it would affect her credit. In many instances, late payments can grossly affect your score even before your account ever made it to collections. She might be concerned about something like this if she's in the process of buying/refinancing her home, buying a new car, or making some other large purchase which requires a line of credit.

Just trying to give a different POV. You handled it well.
    I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
    "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Quoth Jewels View Post
      To report to the credit companies, we first need to submit you into collections. Doing that costs money...more money then a lousy penny.
      The thing most people don't know about collection agencies is that the reporting company has to pay the agency a percentage of the amount collected. Therefore of the penny owed, you would only get .075 cents because the collection agency would get .025!
      Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.

Comment

Quoth shenzee View Post
        The thing most people don't know about collection agencies is that the reporting company has to pay the agency a percentage of the amount collected. Therefore of the penny owed, you would only get .075 cents because the collection agency would get .025!
        Very true, although often times the agency will attempt to get the debtor to pay for their fee (using the 1 cent example, the agency would usually get the client to pay 1.25 cents.)

Comment

Quoth shenzee View Post
          Therefore of the penny owed, you would only get .075 cents because the collection agency would get .025!
          Er...? 25% of a penny? .0025 cents?
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

When I paid off my student loans I made the last 2 payments together and I forgot to figure the difference in interest for that last month...so I overpaid by 49 cents. I got a statement with a negative .49 balance . I called them just to ask what happens to that 49 cents (mostly because I was curious; no I did not expect a refund check for 49 cents) and they said under a certain amount either way they just write it off. Of course if it's an ongoing bill, just figure it into the next month's payment...what's so hard about that?
            Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 03-01-2007, 05:04 PM. Reason: cuz I remembered how much it was! :b
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
              Er...? 25% of a penny? .0025 cents?
              UH OH you don't happen to work for Verizon do you? 25% of a penny is .25 cents and .0025 dollars.
              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
                UH OH you don't happen to work for Verizon do you? 25% of a penny is .25 cents and .0025 dollars.
                Er... no, .25 cents=a quarter.

Let me explain...
                1 penny= $0.01
                25%=.25
                .25*0.01=0.0025, there is no way it could be larger than a penny.
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                  Er... no, .25 cents=a quarter.

Let me explain...
                  1 penny= $0.01
                  25%=.25
                  .25*0.01=0.0025, there is no way it could be larger than a penny.
                  no .25 cents is 1/4th of a penny .25 dollars is a quarter. You are confusing your units.
                  The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post

HA! As I was reading this, I thought of that too! HI-larious stuff that.
                    There is a slight flaw in my character.

Comment

ARGH the numbers make my brain hurt
                      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                      X