This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stunned by stupidity

I get a call one day from a lady who is calling demanding to know why her order was cancelled. This happened a few months ago but i'll always remember it as the one the dumbest people i've ever had to deal with

Me - Hurrah
    SC - Dumb woman

Me: how can i help you?
    Sc: My order has been cancelled and i want to know why
    Me: ok, can i take you order number and i'll have a look and see what is happening
    Sc: *gives order number*

So i pull up the order number and i can see straight off the cancellation came from her bank/ credit card company and not us.

Me: Ok, it looks like this order was cancelled by your bank. You will have to contact them to see why this order was cancelled as we are not provided with this information.
    SC: *sigh* i already spoke with my bank, they said they cancelled order as it was an unusually high amount of money to be put on my credit card, and it was cancelled for security reason
    Me: oooookkkkk, so what can i help you with?
    Sc: *sigh* I want to know why my order was cancelled
    Me: *stunned silence for 6 long seconds* It was cancelled by your bank for security reasons
    SC: oh ok, thats all i really wanted to know, goodbye *click*

After she hung up, i was still pretty shocked by the sheer stupidity that had just been displayed. I have a sneaky feeling she probably even ended up calling her bank again

Well, it's nice when they give you the answers to the stupid questions, at least.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I've had that happen during Back to School. Parents would buy computers from us for their incoming freshmen kids, and a small chunk of them would throw shitfits when their bank declined the $1500-$2000 purchase. You'd be amazed at how many parents got pissed off when they couldn't use their super-mile card, and had to either come back another day, or use a different card (with less miles).
      Gun control is hitting your target; recycling is reloading your brass.
      "It's not our fault the Business School makes you buy those crappy Gateways!"
      "The queue is..."

Comment

Better to be dumb and easily convinced than to be dumb and hard-headed...

You lucked out.
        I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
        "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Assuming the card has enough credit on it, why wouldn't the bank call the customer and check that it's really them making the purchase rather than just cancel it and not say why? I've had cards come up to call for authorization on a lot less just because the customer hadn't used it in a long time and was suddenly putting a hundred bucks on it and they just want to make sure it's them. It doesn't seem fair to just outright cancel a transaction for security reasons without checking with the cardholder....
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            Assuming the card has enough credit on it, why wouldn't the bank call the customer and check that it's really them making the purchase rather than just cancel it and not say why?
            I think it varies company to company. Citi can never seem to do it one way. Sometimes they'll let the charge through, and then put a hold on my card. Sometimes they'll put a hold on my account immediately and deny the charge. Sometimes they'll just put a security alert on my card, give me a call, and let me make charges for a period of time, after which they'll put a hold on my account until I call them back.

Comment

Depends on the bank. My boss is from another country, and several times a year returns there to see relatives. And she'll use her credit card there, and some of these abroad transactions will get cancelled for security reasons. Cue boss ringing up the bank asking _again_ for them to make a note on her account that that is where her family live, so please stop with the cancelling.

I get the bank ringing up the day before payday, asking why there's no money in my account. My repeated reminders that it the flaming day before payday, and I've been working for the same company for over a decade and surely the account history should show its the flaming day before payday seem to fall on deaf ears.

Comment

Quoth scruff View Post
                I get the bank ringing up the day before payday, asking why there's no money in my account. My repeated reminders that it the flaming day before payday, and I've been working for the same company for over a decade and surely the account history should show its the flaming day before payday seem to fall on deaf ears.
                I think more than anything they want to be sure you still have a job and will be giving them your money... they can't assume those types of things.
                I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
                "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Working...
                X