Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out where my grandmother lives...there's a guy who walks the back roads, looking for aluminum cans. I'm not sure where he comes from, but usually, once a month he shows up. I'm glad to see him, since it saves me some work--I *hate* cleaning up the road and fishing those damn cans out of the creek--not to mention I can get rid of the box of cans I save for recycling. Usually, by the time he reaches our road, his bags (blue ones from Jyunt Iggle) are overflowing--I'd give him one of our large garbage bags, and help him transfer his stuff.

One time, he got *extremely* lucky--as I was helping him, one of the neighbors came down with a truck, took the guy up to his house, and let him have the *huge* pile of cans just sitting in the woods! We're talking *several* pounds of scrap here folks! My neighbor then took the guy to the scrapyard to exchange the cans, then took him to wherever he was staying.

Someone's taking care of him, since he doesn't stink, and his clothes are in good shape. However, he doesn't speak very well, and it's difficult to understand him. With that said, he simply can't get a job. It sucks, but he seems happy.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Homeless people

I have long since stopped giving homeless people money. I once saw someone I gave 10 dollars to turn around and walk a block down, and enter the nearest liquor store. But I do like giving them meals.

The other day I went and got a giant burrito called a Homewrecker at a place called Moe's. So good. Loaded it up with TONS of stuff. I walked outside, and there was a homeless guy panhandling. So I gave him my burrito, chips, and queso sauce. I went back to Moe's and ordered another. The cashier asked me "back so soon?" and I told him I gave my burrito away. He asked who to, and I said, "Not sure. A homeless guy." He then proceeded to give me a 75% discount (the maximum he could give without a manager) and said, "Real kindness should be rewarded. Here's a free drink, too." I started to walk back to my car, and the homeless guy smiled at me. He said, "Thank you so much. It's not every day someone does this."

I've also bought hats, gloves, blankets, and Bibles just to run into homeless person later and end up giving the new purchases to them.

I felt good.

Moselle
      You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts.

"I hope you get hit by a bus and beaten by hockey-stick-wieldling pygmies." - IMA

Comment

Working...
      X