Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you buying nail polish or a new car?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you buying nail polish or a new car?!

At my store we have a pretty simple rewards program; customers present their cards each time they shop to earn points, and each quarter reward certificates are mailed out. Each points "level" has different products the customer can choose from; the higher the level, the better the stuff (for example, level one has stuff like cheap nail polish and eye liner; level 6 gets you stuff like a haircut in the salon or a $45 fragrance).
    I had a customer today with a level 2 or 3 certificate, and one of the things she could redeem it for was a salon brand nail polish (the better, more expensive ones). You'd think this would be simple...pick a color you like, present certificate, done. Should have taken 5 minutes. But not for this woman. You would've thought that choosing a nail polish color was like naming her firstborn child. Not that I really care if someone wants to spend 90 minutes choosing, but she quickly narrowed it down to three colors (which were all ugly as hell) and then repeatedly tried each them on one at a time, bitched that they didn't look like they did in the bottle or didn't match her skin tone, then wiped them off with a tissue and bitched that I didn't have polish remover for her to use. Lather, rinse, repeat for over an hour. I showed her the swatches we have of the colors that show what they look like once 2 coats have been applied and dried, and that the reason why they looked different when she tried them on was because she was only applying one coat (and quite sloppily, I might add). I gave her advice on which color I thought looked best. I did not, though I desperately wanted to, tell her that the nail polishes are NOT testers and that it's really rude and gross to keep trying them on repeatedly, expecially since swatches are available. Honestly, what makes people think it's okay to try out cosmetics (stuff from the shelves, not testers) in the store? IT'S NOT YOURS YET, DON'T USE IT UP AND GET YOUR GERMS IN IT PLEASE. But of course I'd get in trouble for saying that, despite the fact that we're constantly being told to help avoid shrink from theft and damages. So anyway, after this went on long enough for me to get a headache from the fumes, she finally decided on a color (the one I had been suggesting all along as it was slightly less hideous than the other two). But as soon as I started to ring her up, she said, "You know what, I don't think I'll get that after all. I'll redeem my coupon for a hairbrush instead. I just know that if I get that polish, I'll be unhappy with it when I get home and I'll really regret it."
    For the love of god, how much buyer's remorse can you have over a FREE nail polish? Even if she had to pay full price for it, it was a whopping $7, and we have one of those return policies that's just designed to be abused..."if you don't like it for any reason, bring it back!" I guess I kind of feel sorry for her though...how do you make it through the day if things like picking the wrong nail polish color keep you up at night?

When people like that obsess over things like that (and not in an understandably-psychological disorder kind of way) one wonders how they manage not to slit their wrists when the local StarSchmucks' foam thingie is down for repairs and they can't get their coffee made just that special way.

M
    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

but, like, ooooohmyyyyyyyygawwwwwwwd, doncha know that, like, your nailpolish can, like, totally affect your, like, social standing? </valley girl>

Ow, just typing that hurt my head
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
        but, like, ooooohmyyyyyyyygawwwwwwwd, doncha know that, like, your nailpolish can, like, totally affect your, like, social standing? </valley girl>

Ow, just typing that hurt my head
        Jesus! How many brain cells did you have to kill off to be able to type that?

I think I'd die of alcohol poisoning long before I hit that level. .

M
        I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
          Jesus! How many brain cells did you have to kill off to be able to type that?

I think I'd die of alcohol poisoning long before I hit that level. .

M
          It's ok, they all have bulletproof vests. Plus, being a girl gives me an elevated immunity to valleygirl. You should hear me do it...hehehehe

Comment

hehe..my cousin's 7-year-old daughter does a great valley girl...they're from North Carolina - hysterical .

See, this is why I don't wear nail polish. I just get such existential angst from choosing just the right shade of pinky-red to perfectly match the color in the inside of my eyelids that I curl up in the fetal position next to the makeup counter every time and .
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I'd just pick the darkest shade of blue I could find and be happy.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I bite my nails I only have to paint my toenails and for that I have red, dark red, pink and tan

Comment

Irad, I used to bite my nails. (I gave it up last year for Lent.) Now they break on their own.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Urgh that drives me mad, when I'm flying and it's a short fly, say to Amsterdam-45 mins in total and they dither other what they want to drink
                    No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Mine break off all the time because I'm not too easy one them. My mom gets hers done, and I can't stand some of the crap they put on her nails. I always do the French tip thingie on mine, looks nice and neat, natural, and downplayed.
                      ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

You should have asked her "Paper or Plastic" when you were bagging her hairbrush and watch her have a nervious breakdown.
                        My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Can't go wrong with clear. Besides it come in handy as a glue for securing knots and stuff.
                          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                            It's ok, they all have bulletproof vests. Plus, being a girl gives me an elevated immunity to valleygirl. You should hear me do it...hehehehe
                            Bonus points if you use the word "groaty".
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                              Can't go wrong with clear. Besides it come in handy as a glue for securing knots and stuff.
                              And don't forget, it works for quick repairs on runs in your nylons!
                              This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X