This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth counterjockey View Post
    Also, I haven't exactly endeared myself to a number of SCs who want to a.)scam more prepaid phone minutes, b.)cash checks (we don't do that, we haven't ever done that, and the day somebody from corporate says we do is the day I walk without notice) c.)scam returns, i.e., even if you did buy that pack of cigs here yesterday, if I see you pull it out of your cleavage I'm not returning it. No no no no no no no... d.)hand me bags of cans to count while they go around and put half my goddamn store in their pockets. ("You want me to count your cans? I want you to pound sand.") or e.)be monkeyshit. For any reason. For no reason at all, sometimes. Gets to be a fun job some days, can ya tell?
    Ok, wait wait wait. This blows my mind...
    How do you scam prepaid minutes?
    Why would anyone think you cash checks at a gas station? They have real stores for that.
    What the hell would you count cans for? Isn't that recycling-that goes, ya know, to a dump?

I realize you can't get into the mind of a SC (not like anyone would want to-it's prolly dirty in there) but seriously, what the hell could they possibly be thinking?
    I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
    "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Quoth ShortTemperHatesStupidity View Post
      What the hell would you count cans for? Isn't that recycling-that goes, ya know, to a dump?
      To determine the amount of deposit to issue the customer. That, and most stores have a limit to the number of cans they will accept back as returns.
      Other stores do not accept all cans back, either, just the ones that they carry in their stores, so visual inspection is required if the store isn't equipped with one of those can recycle machine thingies.

Comment

In MI, and some other states, you pay a ten cent deposit on cans and bottles, then you return them and get your money back. This is to encourage recycling.

I always returned my cans at Meijer, cuz I liked using the can-eater machines.
        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Ok, wait wait wait. This blows my mind...
          How do you scam prepaid minutes?
          We sell prepaid cellular minutes for several carriers, and we also have a high rate of turnover typical of the retail industry. What this means is that certain prepaid cellular users occasionally think they can raise a stink and get a new cashier to give them more minutes because "it didn't go through last time" or some such. Should've explained that last time, I know.

As to your question about the check cashing, there are actual check-cashing joints, even here in my small town, but they aren't open late, and, y'know, they actually charge a fee for the service they provide. People assume that their friendly neighborhood gas 'n' git wants to cash checks from random people to other random people, for free, just 'cause we're nice like that or something. The woman who insisted I cash a check even said, and I quote: "But *such 'n' such* is the place to cash checks!" Little rule of thumb here, making up your own slogan for my own store doesn't make it so, chica. Nice try.

As far as counting cans, that's a little thing called the Iowa bottle deposit law. Customers pay 5 cents on every beer, liquor, wine, and soda container, and turn the empties in at retailers to get their nickels back. The idea is that this way, empty cans won't be choking up our parks and streams. A lot of folks treat their supply of empties as a hedge fund in the event they need more beer money.

What the hell could they be thinking? Not that much, from my experience.
          "Love keeps her in the air when she ought fall down, let's you know she's hurting 'fore she keens...makes her a home."

Comment

OMG... how come I haven't heard about this can thing? Just goes to show you learn something new every day!
            I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
            "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
              Nah. You only get halfhearted bitch slapping over skeeball. Air hockey can get all the way up to serious pushing.

Pinball, now, that's when the knives and guns appear.
              You've obviously never seen my sister and I play air hockey. We play like lives were on the line. It is a regular occurance in our games for the puck to fly ten or more feet in the air when we both go for it near center court. None of my friends will play with me anymore, because I run the puck so fast.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

While reading this story, the song from Tortuga from Pirates of the Carribean was dancing around in my head.
                "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

Though this story came out with a humorous ending, it reminded me of the Pac Man Jones incident at NBA allstar weekend where a bouncer did his job and got paralyzed from a gunshot from someone that got embarassed. I know someone has to do that job, but it's one that I'm glad I don't.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                    You've obviously never seen my sister and I play air hockey. We play like lives were on the line. It is a regular occurance in our games for the puck to fly ten or more feet in the air when we both go for it near center court. None of my friends will play with me anymore, because I run the puck so fast.
                    I actually got kicked out of WalMart for my air hockey exploits. My friend and I have been known to launch the puck 40 feet. We consider it a failure if we don't get welts and bruises from the puck.

Comment

Speaking of check-cashing stores: what are they for? Don't banks still cash checks? I know some will charge a fee if you don't have an account, but so will the special store...
                      Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
                        Speaking of check-cashing stores: what are they for? Don't banks still cash checks? I know some will charge a fee if you don't have an account, but so will the special store...
                        They're mostly for either high-risk people or low-brain people. High risk being people cashing suspect checks; low-brain people being those who never made the connection between math skills and personal finances.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                          Hmm... where do you play? I feel the need to be seriously thrashed at air hockey. (But make sure they have a pinball in decent shape, and I'll return the favor afterwards.)

Comment

Most banks wont cash your checks unless you have an account with them.

Comment

Or if it's drawn on that bank, ditchdj.
                              Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

OMG... how come I haven't heard about this can thing?
                                It's in only certain states--read the side of your cans and/or bottles.
                                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X