This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't translate idiot

My client likes me because I know pretty much everything there is to know about the furniture system they use. She'll ask for the thing that goes on that thing, usually making a funny shape with her hands. I can narrow that down to one or two things and take care of it. Sucky system, but it works so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Of course sometimes she'll be very specific, as in this case. She asks me to bring her a "new orange Noma extension cord", which is exactly what I brought her, but it's not what she wants. Now if she can just admit her error, I merrily go on my way and don't have anything to post about, but she's got to argue how she's right.

SC: That's not what I want.
    Me: You asked for the orange extension cords didn't you?
    SC: (tone so condescending you could cut it with a knife) Yes, but we use the power bars with the long cords as extension cords. So I call those power bars extension cords.
    Me: Okay, so you want those new black ones then.
    SC: No, I want those new orange Noma ones that you moved from the storage room.

I stubbornly and stupidly fight this point because I want to make sure to get it right this time (and because I'm stubborn and stupid).

Me: All of those new ones were black, made by Woods.
    SC: NO, they are the orange ones. We had boxes of them. Go downstairs and you'll see.
    continue for a couple more volleys before I finally wise up

So I go and get one of the Black Woods power bars, hand it to her and ask if it's what she wanted. "Yes, thank you" was all I got, no apology, no admission of error, so I begin to walk away, until I'm called back. Oh joy, am I about to get my apology, is she going to admit she was wrong, nope, I'm told about the other mistake I made. So in summary, here's how to translate idiot:

Idiot: a new orange Noma extension cord

English: THREE new black Woods power bars

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

ok confusing powerbar with extension cord i can see, but where the hell did she get orange??? even a five year old knows the difference between orange and black.

Comment

Wife of CS member who reads vicariously wishes to point out that our 9 month old can put yellow things with yellow things, blue things with blue things....orange things with orange things...

Comment

Next time she asks for something in black, bring her orange and see if she can tell the difference...
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

In her defense, she wasn't arguing about the colour, just that I was wrong for bringing her exactly what she asked for instead of what she really wanted.
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
          Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            Next time she asks for something in black, bring her orange and see if she can tell the difference...
            LMAO-that's great!
            I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
            "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
              Can you imagine how confused she could be at Hallowe'en?
              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

http://www.snopes.com/lost/mistered.asp
                Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Working...
                X