Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe, somehow, in a galaxy far, far away the woman thought that all the ice cream was made with soy milk. Some people shouldn't be allowed out of their homes with out a guardian.
    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
      Incidentally, "Frappé" doesn't mean to ice, it means, literally "beaten" or whipped (frapper is hitting).
      Hmmm... there was a blurb about it from The Dictionary of American Food and Drink and that's what it said. I was feeling good to have learned something.

But, I guess I didn't... er, I did... LOL.
      "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
      HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
        errr... actually, Frappé is a french word, and in french, guess how it's pronounced? "frapp-ay"
        Ya beat me to it! "To ice" is something like the 4th definition of the french verb "frapper". "Frappé" is the past tense. I've got the same problem with people saying I'm pronouncing something wrong in French. Until I point out I've got a degree in French and took several years of ballet on top of that! It's nice. Around here, not many people speak French, so I can swear away and nobody has an idea what I'm saying! But I can sort of see why the drink would be called a "frappe". Depending on how you're using it, "frapper" can also mean "to beat".
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
          "To ice" is something like the 4th definition of the french verb "frapper".
          So, then it is a definition of the word and thusly not incorrect?

In the end I think we can all agree that a MILKshake contains milk and therefore not something someone who is lactose intolerant should order. At least not before asking if there are non-dairy alternatives.
          Last edited by NightAngel; 03-08-2007, 09:08 PM.
          "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
          HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
            Oysters aren't shell fish, they are in the mollusk family. Most people who are allergic to shell fish can eat oysters, clams, muscles, etc.
            Wow I didn't know that Thanks for clearing that up. I always kinda lumped them all in the shellfish family. I feel kinda foolish now though. D'oh
            My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post

I don't have a pack of Oreos on hand at the moment (chocolate is my weakness and they don't last long around here), but I'm pretty sure there's some milk, or at the very least, some milkfat or lactose in those too.
              I was totally craving Oreos but I was a good girl and didn't get them because I couldn't find a small package. Now I'm disappointed But I do have ice cream for later
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Noelegy View Post
                My husband will order a pizza with everything on it and then pick the mushrooms off. Or a mushroom burger. When I ask why he doesn't just order it with no mushrooms, he explains that he likes the taste it leaves behind.
                My Mommy is rather the same, but with onions. When I'd make something with onions, I'd have to cut them big enough so she could see them to pull them out.

I miss my mommy. I have to go home.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglĂłid

Comment

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
                  Wow I didn't know that Thanks for clearing that up. I always kinda lumped them all in the shellfish family. I feel kinda foolish now though. D'oh
                  Don't feel that way. I wouldn't have known either if not for my Dad. (And 10th grade biology where I learned about the classes and such.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                    Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine that English people will use French words and then tell US we're mispronouncing it (I am francophone)
                    You're right. I could have done a better job wording my post.

I understand it we "stole" it from a French word and I'm definitely not accusing the French of mis-pronouncing it. As a matter of fact, the lack of an accent acute on the final "e" means that the French would naturally pronounce the word "frappe" pretty much as we do; they would just wonder why we were using the third person singular of the verb frapper (to strike) as the name for a tasty treat. Anyhow, I was talking about a quirky local regionalism in a lighthearted fashion and didn't intend to offend anyone.

I think we can all agree that there was no such thing as a "frapp-a-cino" until somebody in the coffee industry decided to make a coffee drink to appeal to people who don't like coffee.

Disclaimer: No offense intended to people who like coffee drinks and don't like coffee. I happen to admire the marketing saavy of Starbucks.
                    Last edited by Dips; 03-09-2007, 06:32 PM.
                    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth atomikmoogle View Post

Me: Welcome to Coldstone. Have you ever been here before? (we have to say that)
                      IC: Yes I have, I want a chocolate Milkshake.
                      Me: Yes Ma'am, what size would you like?
                      I have been here before but i didn't realise that there is milk in a milk shake!!!!
                      ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
                      Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

I hadn't thought about that till now, she HAD been to a Coldstone before what was going through that woman's mind?
                        Hospitality means we have to act hospitible to our guests and customers...but it doesn't mean we need to like them. - the worlds greatest professor

Comment

It takes alot of Spauldings to walk into an ice cream shop and ask for a milkshake and then say you won't pay for it until you find out if there's milk in it.

I mean, if one is lactose intolorant, then one should know what one can and can not consume!

Most ice cream stores have some kind of low-fat, fat free, sugar free, lactose free options!!

If she had said from the beginning that she was lactose intolorant and what did you carry that was lactose free, you would have been able to help her.

Maybe she forgot her "smart" pills that day.

This is one of those "here's your sign" moments!!

Ginger

Comment

Perhaps ice cream shops should start selling Lactaid by the register as an impulse buy....

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
                              Perhaps ice cream shops should start selling Lactaid by the register as an impulse buy....
                              Why yeah what a concept....

Did you know there's lactose free Pizza?
                              Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                                Incidentally, "Frappé" doesn't mean to ice, it means, literally "beaten" or whipped (frapper is hitting).
                                Thank you! I thought I was losing it! I was thinking that I could have SWORN that "frapper" meant to hit something. I was even mumbling it to myself (luckily, no one is around to hear me )..je peux frappe quelque chose, non?

As for the milkshake lady, what an idiot. As a member of the Lactose Intolerant club, I am surprised by her lack of insight (hint lady....the word 'milk' should give it away).
                                -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                                -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Working...
                                X