This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Dependence Day

In honor of the birth of my great country (sorry Brits), the clearance swamp is open until 6 tonight, or for another half hour according to my computer clock. And since stepping outside is like stepping into an oven, and it's too early to light piles of exploding things on fire (everybody knows you don't shoot off fireworks until noon at the earliest), half the people in town came out to the swamp this morning and afternoon.

What did everybody want? Fans, pools and air conditioners.

What do we not have in stock, and won't be getting in stock any more? Fans, pools and air conditioners.

What is displayed right next to where I was working all day? Fans, pools and air conditioners. We're down to a couple inflatable kiddie pools and one 12,000 BTU window air conditioner.

Yeah, not a recipe for a good day. I must've taken ten calls about pools and air conditioners, in between telling my in-store customers that we no longer had pools and air conditioners to sell. Sorry, calling other stores is a no-go, because they're all out of pools and air conditioners too. I suppose we may have some left in our stores in say, Idaho or Washington, but you'd have to wait weeks for them to actually get transferred here. And if I suggested that you'd just get mad that I was insulting you or something.

One person asked me what she was supposed to do without an air conditioner. Ummm, either fight it out with 57 other people for the one 12,000 window unit we still have, or live in your refrigerator? Or set the oven to cold? I dunno.

Meh, I got two days off now. And by the clock on my computer, it's now beer thirty-nine.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Beer sixty-nine is when you quaff with such enthusiasm that half splashes in your lap.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      One person asked me what she was supposed to do without an air conditioner. Ummm, either fight it out with 57 other people for the one 12,000 window unit we still have, or live in your refrigerator? Or set the oven to cold? I dunno.
      "Customers don't listen to a word I say anyway, so it won't matter what I tell you." LOL

Have a good one, and enjoy your beers.

Comment

Irv, does your store have any fans, pools, or air conditioners?
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

An abundance of fans. Otherwise you're SOL.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
            Irv, does your store have any fans, pools, or air conditioners?
            It seems to have plenty of fans around here
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Sounds like my Mal-Wart. We have a metric ass-load of fans and dehumidifiers, but only the big-ass (and thus the most expensive) air conditioners.

Oh - and no more coming in as the BTS is already in the back.

I'm tempted to send the people who demand an AC over to Bedding to get some blankets so they can camp out in front of the fridge a la The Simpsons.

My sympathies Irv.

B
              "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
              I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Am I living in some strange fantasy when I sit here wondering what they did with the units they bought last year?
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post
                  We have a metric ass-load of fans and dehumidifiers, but only the big-ass (and thus the most expensive) air conditioners.

Oh - and no more coming in as the BTS is already in the back.
                  [EXTREME SARCASM]: What no Christmas stock?!
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

What? You mean we're suppose to save those to use the following year?

I swear it's as if people forget that summer happens the same time each year. Same people who probably wait until they're in the middle of a blizzard to think to themselves "Gee, maybe I need to buy a shovel and an emergency heater...<go to store> what? What do you mean they're sold out!..."

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                      Am I living in some strange fantasy when I sit here wondering what they did with the units they bought last year?
                      Didn't you see the other thread on here.... they take them back for a refund.
                      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Was I the only one who read the title and think it was a "Senior Day" and Irv got sprayed with gas?
                        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                          Was I the only one who read the title and think it was a "Senior Day" and Irv got sprayed with gas?
                          That's next week. Senior Day is next week because of the shortened hours yesterday.

Of course this probably netted the front end some complaints when explaining this to entitled seniors expecting a discount.

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post
                            Sounds like my Mal-Wart. We have a metric ass-load of fans and dehumidifiers, but only the big-ass (and thus the most expensive) air conditioners.
                            I went to one of the local Mal-marts today and they literally had a whole aisle of nothing but 20 inch box fans. Did not see too many Window A/C units though
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I run one of those for white noise every night. Now I'm attempting to push conditioned air from the living room to the bedroom.
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                              X