This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleanup Aisle 12

This one happened to me a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG time ago. Working as a bag boy for a grocery chain, the store I was working had no security cameras inside yet. People knew this, and we were constantly getting smacked for lawsuits by people who "slipped" on "spilled" food. Store policy was to settle out of court, about 10 to 15 thousand a pop. While we didn't have cameras, there was a catwalk at the front of the store that had two way glass, allowing people to watch (usually us workers)

So, one saturday, I'm sweeping the aisles. I see a woman through the slots in the shelves, one aisle over, and stop for some reason. Shes holding a mayo jar, looking at it, and theres just something... strange, about the way she's looking at it. A moment later, she smashes it on the ground. she picks a gob up, smears it down her dress, puts her heel in it, makes a long skid mark, then lays down, and screams in pain. People come running, including my front end manager, who has a look on his face, of, no, not again! I slowly saunter around and over, pushing my way through the crowd, as the woman acts hysterical and hurt. I lean over, right in her face. Alex... my manager starts.

Ma'am, I saw what you just did. and (pointing at the two way glass above) the brand new cameras we just installed yesterday did too. (no, there were still no cameras)

She stared at me, stood up in a huff, and, dripping mayo, stamped out of the store. My manager looked at me, and said, Alex... thank you. Don't you EVER do that again.

Safety Policies of all kinds should be acknowledged before a place of business opens. Unfortunately you didn't have sweep logs in your store. If you noticed any other witnessed customers who saw it too you could get a hold of them in the store and hear their side of the story too. That's a dumb way to fake an accident obviously!!
    Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

Comment

It's bad enough when a customer does it. Even worse is when an employee does it. Our one lazy cashier faked a fall in the dairy cooler once, and tried to sue the store and get 10 weeks off work, paid. She collected nothing, but did get 10 weeks off, but not paid time off.

She wasn't very well liked before this stunt, and that just made things worse for her. She came back to all kinds of graffiti in the back room slamming her over that, and her reputation for getting involved with the truck drivers that delivered to our store.

The two that I remember are:

"Oh no, my back hurts, I can't work! But that's OK, I never do anything but unload the truck drivers anyway."

and

"My back hurts! Those truck drivers drive soooo hard!"

Surprisingly, no one got in trouble over that, but then this was 20 years ago, and the sexual harrassment issue wasn't as big as it is now.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Ohh, we had sweep logs all right. Wouldn't do anything in that instance.

Comment

What a miserable cow. Good for you doing what you did, though...one less lawsuit-leech getting their way.
          Discourtesy Clerk, purveyor of fine hay bales, pine scented douche and stuff that's not in bins since July 2006.

Comment

Ok, what does sweeping logs mean?

--

Imagine if someone rounded the corner just as she was letting go of the mayo jar.
            I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
            less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Quoth ahanix1989 View Post
              Ok, what does sweeping logs mean?

--

Imagine if someone rounded the corner just as she was letting go of the mayo jar.
              Sweep logs are papers that are in each dept. and people have to spot check their area for safety hazards every 3 hours or so and sign in their paper so that the company doesn't get sued. For any spill we clean up we put the time and day we clean it and put it in the logs. I was a Safety Team Leader.
              Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

Comment

Ah, thanks. I was like "Who the hell uses brooms to move firewood?"
                I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
                less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

That woman had BALLS.

...Yeah...I know...
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Yay, a nonsense lawsuit ended before it could begin. Good going by you, stopping this crook before she could get money from you.

Comment

Working...
                    X