This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methinks he doth protest too much

SC: Hi. I need some help RIGHT NOW. I have a meeting coming up, and the (long, comprehensive, even creative list of swears) printer isn't printing.

ME: Ok sir, let's check the printer settings. Click on start...

SC: Hey! HEY! Don't talk to me like I'm an ididot. I'm NOT an idiot. I SAID my printer doesn't work!

ME: Right, and that's what we're going to check on- now if You'll go to control panel...

SC: Why would I *#&$ around with my COMPUTER, asshole, when it's my PRINTER that doesn't work?

ME: Sir, usually the problem is some kind of setting, or it could just need a restart. Can you...

SC: Forget it! Forget it! I'm not a moron! If i'm going to be treated like a moron, I'm not putting up with this? Can I have your name?

ME: Certainly, It's [Bacter].

SC: Well, [Bacter], I'll certainly mention you in my complaint email.

*slam*

I think I'm safe. There's no way this guy will be able to work an email.
    "Sir, I'm afraid that our warranty does not cover hauntings"

Well of course, there is no possible way that the computer controlling the printer could have even the slightest thing to do with the problem.

I feel for you, I do Tech Support for an internet company now, and the number of people who have to ask for clarification when I ask them to reset their computer is astounding.
    "Good evening, ignorant pigs. Put down your crack pipes and your beer bongs and pay attention." ~ Head of Richard Nixon

Comment

How would he print the email to mail it to the company?
      I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
      less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Yeah, like it's not 90 shades of stupid to cut off the person whose PROFESSION is helping asshats like you...

(to the caller, not the OP)
        Last edited by tollbaby; 03-20-2007, 08:26 PM.
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Well, it was at least nice of him to tell you he wasn't a moron. That would have been such an easy mistake.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

"You may not be a moron, sir, but I know how to fix your printer."

Quoth tollbaby View Post
            Yeah, like it's not 90 shades of stupid to cut off the person whose PROFESSION is helping asshates like you...
            hehehe...assuming that wasn't intentional, simple typo? or Freudian slip? You decide
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

typo, and I noticed it just before scrolling down to your post, so unforunately it's been fixed *blush* I rarely fail to proof-read my posts and I'm kind of embarassed now (I used to work as a proofreader for a publishing company).
              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Bacter View Post
                SC: I'm not a moron!
                Ooh! I had one like this once.

Same thing, printer troubles. SC calls me up and Itry to do the easy fix over the phone since I know from personal experience that the printer in question and the OS that he was using can get hosed if you try to delete a print job.

The job will not clear until the next reboot and it won't print until the hosed job clears.

I try to get him to do a few things and I get the tirade about how it's his printer and not the computer and to quit treating him (say it with me boys and girls) like a moron.

My response to him. "Sir I am perfectly aware that you are not a moron, but then again neither am I. I am a professional in the IT field and as such this means that I know my way around problems with software, hardware, operating system and any combination of the three. Let me try a few things with you on the phone. If I can get it working over the phone then this will not cost you anything. If I go out there it'll be our standard hourly rate of $90/hour plus the $90 for the travel time since you're an hour away. If in 10 minutes your printer isn't running then I will personally drive to your office and fix it. Your choice sir, 10 minutes on the phone for free, or $180 for a 10 minute job fixing it once I get there."

Naturally he opted for the phone support and 5 minutes (and one reboot) later and he was printing like a champ.

M
                I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                  typo, and I noticed it just before scrolling down to your post, so unforunately it's been fixed *blush* I rarely fail to proof-read my posts and I'm kind of embarassed now (I used to work as a proofreader for a publishing company).
                  hehe...I used to do proofreading, too, it's like second nature to me by now...

Sorry, I didn't mean to embarass you...I only point 'em out when they're inadvertently funny

-ams-
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

three cheers mongo! I never can get out something that coherent when customers are being huge jerks- I just try to keep my responses short. Not that I'd freak out, but i'm afraid I'd start laughing- which would be a virtual death sentence.
                    "Sir, I'm afraid that our warranty does not cover hauntings"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                      hehe...I used to do proofreading, too, it's like second nature to me by now...

Sorry, I didn't mean to embarass you...I only point 'em out when they're inadvertently funny

-ams-
                      no no don't worry, I was embarassed when I re-read the post myself. I was like "huh? that doesn't look right.... oh crap" LOL
                      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                      X