This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor Man

While I was working at my little (read: major chain) office supply store. We also had some computer stuff. One of which was a 17 inch monitor we had on sale.

Unfortunately, we were out of that one, as well as the 19 inch, Grr. Supply has always been flaky with the electronics.

Anyway, this nice little old lady comes in looking for said monitor. She isn't the problem. The guy who walked in later, I'm assuming her son or something, is.

LOL : Little old lady
    D: Salesman Elite.
    SC: you know...

LOL: Hello there, I'm looking for the computer monitor that's on sale.
    D: The 17" so-and-so brand monitor?
    LOL: That's the one
    D: Sorry, we're out of that one right now, but if you want to order it you can have one delivered to your house at the sale price, free of charge.

Enter SC: Large fat man in short shorts. Stereotypical ubernerd type.

SC: What's going on?
    LOL: They're out of the 17 inch monitor.
    SC: Why are you getting the 17 inch monitor. 19 inches is better. You want the 19 inch monitor.
    LOL: But that one costs mo-
    SC: (to me) She wants the 19 inch monitor. (To her) it's better. (Not a question or an opinion, a fact)
    LOL: oh...okay.
    D. ( oh wow...) Unfortunately we're out of that one too. Supply's been kind of flaky.
    SC: Typical, this is a typical scam they have. Just to get you in here.
    D: (Scam? We're not getting your money, that's the opposite of a scam.) Well, I can check one of the other branches if you want.
    SC: Do it.
    D: *Beep beep boop* Okay, there is ONE left at the (whatever) location.
    SC: Put it on reserve
    D: I can't. It's a sale item so the store won't let me reserve it.
    SC: I knew it! How typical of you guys! What a scam!
    D: Well, if you hurry, you might be able to get it before someone else does, it's only about ten or fifteen minutes away. (Translation: please go away)
    SC: It BETTER be there when I get there. Or else.

Never saw them again. Thank god.
    "Jester, I have an opportunity for you." Uh oh. What does he want me to clean? "It 's a chance for you to make some extra money." Crap, it must be really gross!

-Jester

That "Or else" part could be misconstrued as a threat. If I'm not mistaken, you could've called the cops for that.
    *grabs the 'Not-A-Lawyer' hat*
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Frankly, he's not worth my time. But thanks for the advice.
      "Jester, I have an opportunity for you." Uh oh. What does he want me to clean? "It 's a chance for you to make some extra money." Crap, it must be really gross!

-Jester

Comment

Sounds like a typical Superdork, no social skills at all. Kinda reminds me of the Hot Wheels and Star Wars collectors I had to put up with in the toy department.
        "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

10-1 odds he lives with his Mom....
          If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
          www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

Speaking as a huge geek, this guy disgusts me. Even if you DO know more than the clerk, there is no reason for acting like this. Even an avid collector can have basic manners. I know several collectors, and the ones I chose to hang out with all act like decent human beings. The other I only see at cons.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Decker View Post
              D: Sorry, we're out of that one right now, but if you want to order it you can have one delivered to your house at the sale price, free of charge.
              Wow! That's an awesome policy. I can't believe they didn't jump on it. I expected you'd say something like "Sorry you're out of luck, sales are while supplies last."
              Stores make these policies to make customers happy and you still get some jerks who just want to complain.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Enter SC: Large fat man in short shorts.
                Um, I'm gonna be needing this for that image:
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Decker View Post
                  My store does that, too, sometimes on items we don't carry in the store but have available online. I use the program myself quite often to get things I want but don't have in stock.

I offer this to customers whenever I'm out of what they want. Sometimes they're quite happy with it. But more often than not, they complain that they "need it now." They should be happy I'm even mentioning this as an option. Very few customers know about it. I swear some people would even find a way to complain if they won a tax-free multimillion dollar lottery.

And why did this guy insist that a 19" monitor is better? What if Little Old Lady didn't want a 19"? What if that was too big for her desk? My dad has a 20", and I don't like to use his computer because of it. It's nice and big, but I have to lean back from it so my eyes don't hurt. What a jerk.
                  I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                  - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                  - IPF

Comment

Am I the only one who pictured the SC as Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons?

"Worst. Monitor. Ever."

Comment

Quoth nick1091 View Post

"Worst. Monitor. Ever."
                      I did too.

Sometimes bigger is not better. Like what was mentioned earlier, about it hurting their eyes.
                      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth nick1091 View Post

"Worst. Monitor. Ever."
                        No, no you are not. That's exactly what I saw too. I had an image of the little old lady from Incredibles (in the insurance office) and Comic Book Guy complete with Hot Dog and Extra Large Soda.

Comment

I'll third that image!
                          Gun control is hitting your target; recycling is reloading your brass.
                          "It's not our fault the Business School makes you buy those crappy Gateways!"
                          "The queue is..."

Comment

Yeah. Frankly that's who he kind of reminded me of.

Honestly, I like bigger monitors, but I play a lot of intensive games on my computer. But I know the difference between what I like and what a customer needs. From what I heard this lady just wanted to use her computer to check e-mails and stuff like that, for which a 17" would be more than fine. I don't think bigger is better just because it IS bigger.

-Jester

Comment

Aw, sheesh... it's people like that that give a bad name to geeks everywhere.

I, myself, am a gaming geek, and people like that make me wanna b!tch-slap them.

When the customer is a Little-Old-Lady and probably only needs the system for email and maybe a mahjong game or something (like my mom does a lot of), then a 17" monitor is more than enough.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X