This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kind bride treats me like a human

In March my Mom was in a car accident. Two and a half weeks later she passed away. I had taken the time off from both jobs as she was in another state. I made plans to return to work, and my first day back, was scheduled to fit a bridal gown.

I work in a tailor shop that takes in all kinds of work, but I've worked in bridal shops. Brides can be very nice, or very self-absorbed. Bride-to-be came in with her Mother, greeted the owner and my colleague, as they had been in contact for three or four weeks trying to schedule this. Then the bride stepped into the dressing room to change. Mother of the bride turned to me and said, "So sorry about your mother." The Bride said the same thing when she stepped out of the dressing room.

It's probably not the most "professional" approach, to tell customers there's a delay because someone's had a death in the family. But my boss is that kind of guy, I guess. I sure did appreciate that the bride and her mother treated me like a real person, and she wasn't one of those women wailing about "HER DAY' and how it was going to be perfect/

By the way, the mother has been in since then for other things. She remembers our names and always calls us by name.

I am getting married soon. I feel sorry for the vendors I hired that have to deal with over-the-top brides. I figure if I actually treat people with respect (which I do anyway)! then they'll be more likely to WANT to help me make my day special.

Please accept my condolences as well.
    "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about your mother. You have my deepest sympathies.

There are some classy people like that still in the world. Glad you found a couple.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
      X