This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A drunk customer who made my night

I work on a corporate IT helpdesk on the night shift, which means I mainly run backups and answer the few calls that might come in from people trying to connect to the network from home, or from the plants who might have a problem. For the most part, it's an easy gig, and I don't deal with a lot of really sucky customers.

This happened to me almost two years ago now. The details may not be completely accurate, but it's still worth a chuckle.

DW = Drunk Woman (slurring, such as there was, left out for readability sake)
    Me = wel, me.

It's about 1:00am on a Friday night and the call came in while I was in the bathroom. I came back to my desk, the call was in the queue. I picked up with my usual spiel.

DW: "I can't connect to on VPN." {sort-of angry, but not really} "What took you so long to pick up?"
    Me: "I'm sorry, I was indisposed." (a general key-word there, most people get it).
    DW: {No temper showing now, more drunken sleepiness} "Were you on another call at this time a night? Is VPN down?"
    Me: "No, I was away from my desk. Let me check the server..."
    DW: "What's more important than answering the phone? Isn't that why you're there?"
    Me (distracted while pinging the VPN server. It's not only up, but people are connected...) "Actually, I was in the Men's room, and I don't feel it's appropriate to answer phones form there. I'm sorry you had to wait."
    DW: "Oh, I don't know about that. Some of my favorite conversations were with men holding their di**s in their hands.."
    Me: ". . ." (*Hits mute, quickly...*)
    After a moment to be certain I can speak...
    Me: "It looks like VPN is down. Give it a try in the morning???"
    DW: {even more sleepily now) "Ok." *Click*

I got to laugh over that the remainder of the night.

To her credit, she did call back the next night, both to apologize, and I think, to try and figure out exactly what she had said. I told her that she had said nothing that offended me in any way, and everything was good.

Ive dealt with drunks doing retail several times, but none of them left me laughing.

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Haha, it's good to see she had the conscience to apologize, though.

It's rainin', rainin', on the streets of New York City.

Comment

My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Working...
      X