This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schooled

I work in a computer lab on my college campus at the moment. I know it is not the first thing people imagine when they think "Customer Service," but believe me, I see and help as many people per day as many cashiers do.

Anyhow, I am used to having to explain things in minute details and dumbing down wording substatially, which is why I was caught off guard by a shrewd lady one day. She must have been 80 if she was a day. Frilly, bright white hair contrasting starkly with dark skin. A regular in the lab who I have not had to help until this day.

The lab was quiet, so I had been resting. She called over to me, so I left my desk at the front and walked over. She was having trouble with an application, one I had some experience with, so I was confident that I could handle it.

"Okay, let me start you off," I say. "Hit that 'X' right there," indicating the red X we all know for closing windows.
    "You mean close the window," she said, giving me a look like "don't condescend to me."
    I faltered for a moment, certainly. Even given the attitude she gave me, I smiled. I like having to work with someone who at least knows something about the magic picture box they are working with.

"Alright, an explore window for me," I command. She does so, using the shortcut keys on her keyboard. Ok, I think to myself, grandma has more skills then I gave her credit for.

I try walking her through a simple solution to fix the problem, but she interrupts me halfway through. "If you are going to tell me to do this," she says, finishing the solution without my instructions, "I have already tried it. Didn't help."

I couldn't help myself. I chuckled. "Alright then," I say, some enthusiasm in my voice, "let's find out what we can do for you here, then."

I end up spending the next two hours with the lady. The problem is fixed in about 5 minutes through a solution she suggests. I spend the rest of that time talking with her, and she shows me a few tricks she knows. I was learning from someone I was supposed to be helping. She was more then happy to show me, and though her initial reaction to me was one of annoyance, she was smiling broadly by the end. She greets me now every time she enters the lab.

Long story short, there is nothing I enjoy more then an intelligent... Customer, I guess, even if the word doesn't perfectly describe it. I just wish I had to work with people more like her more often.
    ~ It is a beautiful day to be dizzy!

Aren't customers like that absolutely wonderful.
    I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Oh my, yes. They remind me why I still love my job despite having to deal with less satisfactory folk on a regular basis.

Comment

Man I'd love that kind of person! The guys @ work where I'm at are very very very un-computer-educated. Most of them are scared, these big hulking guys who weld stuff and build stuff- big ginormous teddy bears tbh.

I had to teach a guy today the BLUE E IS CALLED INTERNET EXPLORER. The icon with the little white/black arrow is a SHORTCUT. When you can't get to the darn link, it's because the ISA - our gate for our castle - is over worked and underpaid...

But I get to ask them questions - how do you weld this? Why is this thingy shaped this way? Why isnt a steel chunk square on all sides if it's a patch?

We share. I just tell them, no you're not stupid. You know more about cranes and rigging than I do!

Cutenoob
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I used to know someone who taught remedial computer usage. One of her demo's involved sitting (not full weight) on the keyboard, for those users who were afraid to do anything for fear of 'breaking something.' While working with text documents, etc, not programming.

Then she would show them how to erase it all and really enter what they wanted. She never had a case where that little demonstration didn't cure the person's timidity.
          I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
            We share. I just tell them, no you're not stupid. You know more about cranes and rigging than I do!
            I sometimes forget when working with people that they have other professions that don't involve computers. I should probably repeat that fact to myself as a mantra

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post
            I used to know someone who taught remedial computer usage. One of her demo's involved sitting (not full weight) on the keyboard, for those users who were afraid to do anything for fear of 'breaking something.' While working with text documents, etc, not programming.
            An interesting demonstration method. I will keep that one in mind. Of course, with my skinny backside, I probably could sit on the board full weight and not break it.

Comment

Working...
            X