This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother of the Year Award

I dread Fridays, because not only am I shelving alone, but also the most popular storytime is that day. Today was a Friday like every other Friday, in that the children’s room was chock full of marauding post-toddlers. I heaved a sigh of fatigue and pushed my overly loaded cart o’ books into the fray.

The majority of the children eventually dissipated, until there was just one mother with four small kids. She said to them, “Okay! We’re going to have to go soon, now what do we do?” The kids all scrambled around, picking up all the stuffed animals strewn across the room. Then she said, “And what about the chess set, guys?” Two of the kids banded together to put it back in the box. They then proceeded to put all the books laying around into the “lost book” bucket for me to put away later.

Then, she had them all get their coats and books together, and they trooped cheerfully out to the front desk.

That short little exchange made my day (which hadn’t been so hot until then, see "Attention: Please keep this door shut"
    "When life gives you lemons, you give life a f---ing paper cut and then squeeze f---ing lemon juice on it, because life should give you something better than f---ing lemons."

Find out who she is . . . have a note ready to be handed to her at the next story time. (mailing it woudl be kinda creepy)
    Let her know that you think she is a wonderful parent, a terrific example of teaching how to behave in public, and a breath of fresh air in today's society.

Or even better . . .make a blue ribbon for her and present it to her at the start of next weeks story time in front of the other Mother's. Might make them think about stepping up to the plate.

Comment

I actually already told our children's librarian about the "incident", she knows who I was talking about, and will probably do something just like that.
      "When life gives you lemons, you give life a f---ing paper cut and then squeeze f---ing lemon juice on it, because life should give you something better than f---ing lemons."

Comment

Good mom! Maybe giving the kids some kind of "I'm a good citizen" or "super volunteer" badge to wear at the next story hour will be cool. It would serve two purposes:

1. Reinforce the good behavior and make the kids feel proud for doing the right thing.

2. Other kids (and parents) might see them and ask how they can "earn" the badges too. That gives you a nice opportunity to talk about how kids can be good citizens and can contribute to their community by, for example, pitching in and helping put things away after story hour in their public library.
        The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
        X