This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long-distance operator took the flak for me

Last night I got a call from a special-needs customer via the long-distance operator, who would have taken the number from me and dialed it for the customer. So I get the info from the operator, search, and there's no exact match for the customer's request; a few close ones though, that I have to mention. I'm in the middle of that when the customer suddenly explodes: THAT'S NOT WHAT I ASKED YOU FOR YOU STUPID PIECE OF S**T AND I KNOW HE LIVES THERE, HE'S THE OWNER OF ***** HOTEL! START F**KING LOOKING AND F**KING FIND THE NUMBER YOU DUMBF**K (I'm paraphrasing, and the original stream of abuse was in french). I started my standard abusive customer spiel, speaking over him as allowed by policy. Then all of a sudden I don't hear him anymore, so I stop talking too. Then the operator's back on, sighs, and says she'll call me back. Took me a second to realize she'd muted out the customer, and would have to go back to him and calm him down. But a good thing is that as far as I remember from hearing a conversation between a LDO and an angry customer, LDOs can be a lot less polite and pleasant than we have to be, and get away with it.

Then maybe ten minutes later, I get the same customer via a different LDO. This time I made my best effort to change my voice so he wouldn't recognize me and get all pissy again. And he took the number for the hotel the guy owned.

Sidenote: It makes a lot of sense to me that someone who owns a hotel would have a confidential number, or their residence number simply a sub listing of the hotel number, with "Res 555-555-5555" as the only info. The customer never gave me a chance to explain that, and in this particular case there was no res number attached to the hotel, and that would actually have pissed him off more.
    Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !
Working...
X