This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God's Pit Crew + Famous Pastor's Church

God's Pit Crew is a sort of help agency that deals with natural disasters and so forth, based (as far as I know) in some little town no one's heard of in Virginia. IE when Katrina happened a few years ago, they set up a big drive for people to donate things to the victims, and then took the stuff to them.

As you probably all know, a HUGE storm swept through a good part of the eastern US, leaving several million people (I think) without power.

During a heat wave.

Needless to say, we couldn't stay at the house. Al's mother is on oxygen and has a hard time breathing even WITH that, under normal circumstances--and we keep the house at 70-72!

So we went to stay at a famous Christian college's Baptist church which is humongous...so they let people stay there, even though they really weren't *supposed* to do that. They weren't going to throw people out. Meals were served and people slept in the gymnasium. Free wifi and endless amounts of soda+water+gatorade were also available.

They also let in people with pets and had food+litter for you to take as well. Albeit the people with pets were provided with a separate room--but that's expected. Some people brought in some BIG dogs.

We'd been there a few days until we found out about these Blessing Buckets--at first, everyone grabbed them erroneously. They were meant for some neighborhood that had been devastated and had nothing. A day later some were provided that were actually MEANT for us.

A Blessing Bucket can contain many things (a Bible, too, obviously). But generally they had things like:
    • Toothbrushes
    • Toothpaste
    • Single rolls of toilet paper
    • Shampoo
    • Bottled Water
    • 1-2 cans of food ("potted meat" or Beanee Weenees)

So thanks, guys. We really don't know what we'd have done if not for either of you.
    Last edited by Tama; 07-06-2012, 08:42 AM.
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

God bless them and you, and I hope you can go home soon!
    I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
    - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

We're actually already home, have been for a couple days. Thank goodness--some estimates said we weren't going to get power 'til TOMORROW!
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

This is wonderful, but just a reminder to keep away from the comments about the religion aspect, etc when replying.

Thanks!
        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

What an absolutely wonderful thing to do! God bless them and theirs for all the help they've given.

I'm glad you're doing better, Tama. What a stressful thing to deal with, especially with family members with health problems. I hope everyone can get their power back soon.
          Last edited by XCashier; 07-09-2012, 10:07 PM.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
            This is wonderful, but just a reminder to keep away from the comments about the religion aspect, etc when replying.

Thanks!
            Says the mod with a religious reference in their location.

I kid, I kid.

It's always good to see people who are helping others like this at their own expense.

Comment

Working...
            X