Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Way off topic. Can a techie help me please?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I've settled on Avast! AV and Comodo Firewall for my own personal use, and I'm going with Kaspersky Suite for my friend's comp.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I use AVG and Zonealarm.

AVG has never failed me, as far as I know. And ive been with it for years.

I use zonealarm just to stop errant internet access. But i hate how when i install a new game, my computer freezes essentually when i forgot to give the game internet access, and zonealarm blocks it.

I keep to the motto, that you cannot stop someone whom is desperate enough. So i figure no matter how safe my computer is, if its hooked to the internet, it isnt safe. Then i just do what i can to keep it working, i.e. AVG, Adaware, sometimes Spybot. etc
      http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
      Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

I've run into a lot of people who have had serious issues with Zone Alarm. Also, review sites give it a low rating for being a decent firewall.

Avast! seems to get good marks from reviewers and users alike, and the free home version is noted as being fairly robust.

A lot of people run into serious problems with Norton. For whatever reason, however, I have only ever run into one issue, and I've used NIS for the last 6 or 7 years.

For backup purposes, I also keep a copy of HijackThis! and a list of help forums that do HJT troubleshooting.

Opionion: Toolbars are evil and a huge source of vulnerability. Plus, they waste screen space.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          For backup purposes, I also keep a copy of HijackThis! and a list of help forums that do HJT troubleshooting.
          Hijackthis.de

Best friggin' HJT site ever! C&P or upload your log, and it gives you a rating for every entry.
          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

For your IE7 problem, my solution is to uninstall the update, block it from being shown in the automatic updates window, and download Mozilla Firefox. You can even import all of your bookmarks, and it's got neat gadgets that you can add on to it!

I use my school's free antivirus, but it's Norton Corporate edition. I don't think it would be available for home owners to purchase at anything close to a reasonable price, but it works great. Real shame, since the home versions of Norton suck so much. For firewall, I also use the school's, since it's free.

I've used Zone Alarm before, and wasn't overly impressed with it. I've also used AVG, and it works ok for light internet use. When you add LimeWire into the mix (courtesy of little brother)... well, when you give your computer that much access to infected files, nothing will protect it perfectly.

For spyware, which only some anti-virus companies cover with their product, I use a combo of Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D. Spybot S&D also has a firewall program, but the UI (user interface) on that is a little screwy, so don't bother. I think it's called TeaTimer.

Oh, and to avoid getting AIM viruses, I use Gaim, now called Pidgeon. Takes a little getting used to, but no ads, no annoying pesky viruses, and better functionality, IMO. OCD away message checkers can now satisfy their urges simply by mousing over the username of everyone on their buddy list!
            Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
            Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
            The Office

Comment

My work has actually put the IE7 update on ignore so nobody would update it accidentally.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
                2. When I close IE7, I am getting this:

I was getting an error after closing ie 7 too. Under Internet Options -> Advanced there is a button that says "Reset". It Resets Internet Explorer settings. After I ran that, my IE 7. was fixed. I am not even sure what caused it in the first place. I installed ie 7 when I had XP, even after upgrading to vista it didn't fix it. But that did.

Good luck.

Comment

I have no idea, and this is just a wild shot in the dark, but could it be a legacy left over from upgrading as opposed to a fresh install, which is why the Reset thing fixes it?

^-.-^

Comment

Meh, I still say go Firefox. Better browser features than IE. It's kind of like, IE does its own thing, and Firefox and the other popular browsers come up with features that people like to use, and finally, IE goes "OK! Don't switch! We'll put it in the next version!"
                    The Office

Comment

You could always go IE4. According to the site stats, we had someone visiting using that browser last week.

If you really want to go upmarket, you could use Windows 3.11 - we had someone using that OS to browse the site a few weeks ago!

Rapscallion

Comment

*laughs a little nervously*

<.< >.>

I don't know whether that's funny or pathetic.
                        The Office

Comment

Working...
                        X