Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want a subforum for people with tech needs?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want a subforum for people with tech needs?

I've been pondering a subforum for this section. It's of most interest to those with technical experience, and we've had a request or two for technical assistance that are off-topic for the section. The idea is for people who have problems to post in there and receive ideas from other forumers.

Of course, we'd have to point out that anyone taking the advice would be doing so on the understanding that it's at their own risk. Since the good techies of the board are the ones who would help as and when, though, would you be interested in doing this?

I've put a poll here good idea and bad idea. Vote away!

Rapscallion
    Good idea
    94.64%
    Bad idea
    5.36%

But... I'm afraid it may not be read quickly... As long as posters are ok with this, I'm all for it!
    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
    The Office

Comment

I'm always willing to help my friends here at CS
      "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Good Idea, but best to park in the same spot as the Off Topic subforums are.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I've already fielded a couple of tech help questions via PMs and always enjoy helping people out, so I'd be happy to see such a forum set up.

Comment

I'd be happy to help as well.
            "Sir... sir... diagnosing computer problems over the phone is like diagnosing brain cancer with a pointy stick"
            -ahanix1989, inspired by bash.org

Comment

I wouldn't mind answering questions about cable internet, telephony, or most video services if there's a need for that.
              I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Well Raps, it seems you have a winner.
                "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                HellGate: London

Comment

I did wonder if it would be better to put it in the Community section, but this is the forum where the techies tend to gather. I'll get around to writing something up as a disclaimer in the near future. Thanks folks!

Rapscallion

Comment

As long as before anyone opens up a new thread, they are first prompted:

"Have you tried turning it off then on again?"

if they say yes, then the next prompt should be:

"Are you sure it's plugged in?"

Comment

As long as this doesn't happen:
                      http://www.illwillpress.com/tech.html

Here are my two cents

I would be happy to help field questions. Perhaps you could setup some kind of tag that says this person knows what they are talking about at least 75% of the time. Or something like that. Who knows. And in the rules, put that questions must have good subjects and good detail in order to be answered.

Comment

I second that. We can't help people unless they are really detailed. Too much detail may be a good thing with some problems. Screenshots are fantastic since it prevents copying and pasting.
                        Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                        Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                        The Office

Comment

I think this is a great idea. These sorts of questions will be asked whether we have a subforum or not so why not start an area where they are easier to spot and recognize

Comment

I haven't worked for that long as a tech so I haven't come across everything under the sun, but would gladly throw in my 2 cents. If anyone has any programming questions for C++, Java, or C#, I can help there.

Comment

I'd be happy to help out; I've built one computer, support a handful all over the place and am taking the first part of my A+ at the end of the month.

I'm reachable for hardware and spy/malware questions.
                              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                              X