Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ignorance == bliss, I guess. (Somewhat long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignorance == bliss, I guess. (Somewhat long)

This probably isn't as bad as a lot of the stories here on CS, but it sorta surprised me, all the same.

I work for a university in California as a faculty/staff computer technician. Once, I was asked to go to the Business/Economics building, a huge 7-story brick building in the middle of the campus, and do a brand-new setup for a business professor. She was getting a newfangled Dell computer. The tiny toaster-looking model, to be precise, with a newer video connection on the back (DVI) instead of an older VGA port.

I brought in the new unit with the understanding that she already had a montor. Fine, makes it easier for me to push the cart without balancing one of those LCD flatpanels. However, when I got there, I found that her monitor was too old to be compatible with the computer, and wouldn't work with an adaptor!

So, I did a little poking around and found that the Business department office had shuffled around a bunch of monitors, and that hers was actually sitting on the desk of the secretary, and the secretary's old monitor went to the department head.

We eventually worked out a deal that would get everything shuffled back the way it was supposed to be, but when I went to tell the plan to the professor...

She cut me off by raising her hand and putting it in my face and saying "I don't want to hear it, just fix it." With, of course, quite a bit of disdain to her voice. The sort that says "I make ten times more a year then you could possibly make as a student worker and that means I don't have to listen to a word you say."

I was a little taken aback, of course, but I just shrugged, said "Ohhkay," and double-timed it so I could get out of her hair.

And here I thought the users wanted to hear what was happening to their new toys... oh well. I just wonder how well she treats her students.
    Last edited by Giranan; 06-18-2007, 06:33 PM.

Quoth Giranan View Post
    She cut me off by raising her hand and putting it in my face and saying "I don't want to hear it, just fix it." With, of course, quite a bit of disdain to her voice. The sort that says "I make ten times more a year then you could possibly make as a student worker and that means I don't have to listen to a word you say."
    Wow, what a entitlement queen. Sometimes(quite often), Professors have huge god complexes. They refuse to admit there is anything they don't know. Maybe she is a techno-idiot and is covering her computer incompetence with arrogance and condescending actions.

Or maybe she's just a bitch.

Comment

Quoth justZu View Post
      Or maybe she's just a bitch.
      I think you're on to something there, Zu.

Had it not been for the possibility of some weird professor disease and some silly laws against assault, I'd have bit her hand.

On second thought, I'm not supposed to be advocating violence here *smiles and waves at mods*, so I'd be just as inclined to just deliver the machine and let her set it up herself. Or maybe make a casual mention of the incident to your supervisor or hers.

At the very least, never take a class with her. What does she teach, anyway? Business ethics?
      Last edited by SuperDan; 06-19-2007, 01:07 AM. Reason: Had a second thought
      "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
      "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
      My MySpace
      My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth SuperDan View Post
        I think you're on to something there, Zu.

Had it not been for the possibility of some weird professor disease and some silly laws against assault, I'd have bit her hand.

On second thought, I'm not supposed to be advocating violence here *smiles and waves at mods*, so I'd be just as inclined to just deliver the machine and let her set it up herself. Or maybe make a casual mention of the incident to your supervisor or hers.

At the very least, never take a class with her. What does she teach, anyway? Business ethics?
        My boss would have stood up for me, but there's little that would have happened. She's one of those teachers than can get away with quite a bit without much of a wrist-slap.
        I'm not sure what she teaches, but I'm definitely going to stay away, trust me. I'm just glad I'm a Computer Science major.

Comment

Quoth Giranan View Post
          Wow. To stick her hand in your face and cut you off was really rude.

However, I can understand the whole "don't tell me about it, just do it" mentality. Some people are just completely uninterested in how or why computers work and are quite happy in their ignorance and the knowledge that they have the resources to bring in somebody who does know to take care of it when something goes wrong.

If I wasn't interested in how computers work, and I wasn't curious about pretty much everything, I wouldn't have wanted to know, either. But I sure as hell wouldn't have stuck my hand in your face to let you know that.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
          X