This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, you can't get 2 for 1....

Woman calls on tier one about a laptop. They're carry-in (meaning they haul it into the store) but she has a simple question so I figured I could answer it.

Backstory: the service plans from the store have a no-lemon clause where if the unit is repaired 3 times and needs a 4th, they will replace it. Important: it also says that due to technical advances, the replacement unit may be lower in cost to the original product. Example: say you spent $2,000 in a P4 laptop 2 1/2 years ago, and if we have a Core 2 Duo laptop that smokes it for $1,350 that is what you'll get. Anyway...

Woman: My laptop is eligible for the no-lemon. The said they'll replace it with the equivalent model, but the ones I looked on your site were half the cost of mine when I first bought it, so can I get 2?

SLD: Sorry, the no-lemon only allows for one replacement product only.

Woman: But I don't want to waste all that extra money!

SLD: Sorry ma'am, but it says right in the terms and conditions that due to technical advances, the replacement product may be lower in cost than the original product. Secondly I can't speak for the store but they might give one that's better than the ones you're looking at, but it still may be lower in cost than the one it's replacing.

Women: Oh well, thanks for stealing my money.

SLD:

If she were smart, she'd realize that she might end up getting one that's BETTER than the one she paid for. I would be ecstatic. Any place that offers to replace a laptop is great and she should consider herself lucky.

Comment

Kindly ask her "if the price were to go up, would you expect to have to pay the difference?" No. The warrenty covers THE PRODUCT not THE PRICE.

Comment

Lol you should have told her that the computer she could get will probably be twice as good as the computer she has now, hence she is getting twice the computer for the price!

Or you could remind her that she's probably getting a free upgrade while anyone else would have to pay $1300 for it, so she's really getting a free computer out of the deal rather than losing $700.
        Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
        Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
        The Office

Comment

For all the good that would do...
          "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
          "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
          --Dilbert

Comment

Quoth cinnamaniac View Post
            If she were smart, she'd realize that she might end up getting one that's BETTER than the one she paid for. I would be ecstatic. Any place that offers to replace a laptop is great and she should consider herself lucky.
            Yes, but she wants TWO better laptops, instead of one.

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
              Women: Oh well, thanks for stealing my money.

SLD:
              Ask her if she's ever heard the term 'depreciation' and if she would rather they give her a system that's the same price as the actual value of her current laptop (which would probably be not so great), or if she'd rather have a laptop that would have cost three times the price of her current one if it had been bought at the same time.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Wow, that's certainly a new one. I guess she doesn't realize that computers are one of the few things that actually go down in price.

I remember paying $300 for a color printer back in '95, and then the price dropped $100 a couple weeks later. I was somewhat annoyed.

I paid about $2500 for the whole system, and probably put about another grand in upgrades in it during the 5 years I had it.

Then I sold the whole thing for $150.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                X