Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, I see that its working, but you still need to replace it!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I see that its working, but you still need to replace it!

It started with an SC giving a major attitude to a sales rep because the air card he bought 2 months ago isn't working.

Policy is that we test the aircard in our computer (we have a PCMCIA adapter plus USB ports for those two types of cards). To test it, we disconnect the RJ-45 (network cable) in the computer and plug in the card. After it's connected, if we can get on the web, it works.

The customer is arguing with the sales rep that he doesn't have time to us to look at it (too bad, you can't just have anyone swap out a piece of electroncis without looking at it).

Customer is mad about the price for the service since he didn't sign up for it, it would be a $55 charge.

I finally get the card and before I disconnect the computer from our intranet, I check the network. Great, 2 switches are acting up. I check the account, his secondary is going though that switch, so if his primary is backed up (which it might have been due to the two acting up) he's be pushed over to those.

I disconnect the RJ45 and plug in the card. At first, it does not connect, but after a minute it does. OK, network recognition may be a little slow. It's a Friday afternoon on a holiday week, I'm sure usage at that time was very high. It does connect. I can get to a few work-safe always-up web sites (like Google.com or CNN.com). I make sure I do a measureable amount of surfing (nothing huge, a few pages to pull up a few hundred K's of usage).

I disconnect the card, connect the RJ45, "Repair" my network connection (to get connectivity back) and note the account that he may have to call tech support to have his laptop troubleshot.

Customer comes in to pick up the card and insists that his card is broken. He demands that I go out to speak to him. Now, I am not trained to troubleshoot laptops with my company, in fact, we have specific policies (written) about this. He wants me to fix his laptop. I tell him I cannot. He puts the card in and I told him he may need to wait a minute or two for it to find the network. Sure enough, while the laptop is still booting up he tries to load up IE (didn't even load up the dialer). Of course, he never had to load up the dialer before (yeah, right). He load sup the dialer and connects (interesting he knew how to do that if he never used it before).

It connects. He still insists that the card isn't working. Uh-huh, if it wasn't connecting he wouldn't be on his company's website right now. He reboots (doesn't shut down, just holds the power button for 10 seconds). Reconnects, on the internet again.

Let's just say I wasted the next 45 minutes arguing with him that his card was working, he proved it. He even received IMs while it "wasn't working".

He claims that sometimes it does work, other times it does not. Then it's not the card, it's either a software conflict or a network issue.

That wasn't a fun time.

Then a customer came in insisting her card wa sbad because her computer said "port already open" whenever she tried to use it.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

:: gives Draggar a pillow to place between forehead and desk ::
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Working...
    X