This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can't find what?

Phone support for an online multiple list service. An agent called in because he was having problems resizing a photo to upload to our system. We faxed him directions on resizing photos using a couple of different programs, but then he called back a few minutes later:

Agent: I followed the directions and then saved the picture. But it didn't save.

Me: (I have him run though a resave the photo onto his desktop) Ok, now you need to go to your desktop and check to make sure it saved.

Agent: What's my desktop? How do I get there?

Me: ...

Me: It's the screen that your computer opens to when you first start up your computer...

Agent: So how do I get there?

Me: (headdesk)
    "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Oh, that so does NOT surprise me!

In the real estate office where we shared space, I was the "office geek" because I could do those astounding things like resize pics, handle email attachments, and give the old three finger salute to reboot the computer. It always amazed me, these are educated professional people who had to pass a state exam to be licensed.

Then came the day when the local board changed to new MLS software. *shudders* Of course I was drafted to do the installs, which was just as well since I knew I was the one they would come running to when they couldn't figure it out. These were all personal machines, across all specs, so I spent a fair amount of time on the phone with tech support on different install issues. Every tech I talked to was fantastic, and I'm sure they were flooded with calls. Of course, it probably helped that I wasn't a frustrated agent screaming about having to learn something new, who only thinks of coffee when hearing the word Java, and has never opened the control panel in their lives.

So you deal with these people all day? Bless you, because that particular experience was what prompted my purchase of a new t-shirt.

"No, I will not fix your computer."

Guild Wars- Ravynn Darkshine, Drasnian Silk
    MySpace- PhantasmBastion

Comment

Quoth Ducky Dew View Post
      Of course, it probably helped that I wasn't a frustrated agent screaming about having to learn something new, who only thinks of coffee when hearing the word Java
      Of course not. Java is an island. Everyone should know that

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
        I thought Java was coffee . . . .or at least that's what my brother and I call the Java software on the computers.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Ducky Dew View Post
          Then came the day when the local board changed to new MLS software. *shudders*
          *Shudder* with you! For some reason when I first started out almost ALL my computer clients were either lawyers or realtors. The MLS was a nightmare. I don't know how those people worked with it all day. (And this is back in the green or orange screen day too!) Can't say as I blame you for buying the shirt....
          Last edited by sms001; 09-17-2007, 07:02 PM. Reason: Hold Shift, press letter, release shift. Hold Shift, press.....

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
            The MLS was a nightmare. I don't know how those people worked with it all day.
            The MLS isn't the nightmare (at least not the MLS I work for) but the people who can't use a computer are the ones that cause MY nightmares. People who don't know how to install ANYTHING. People that can't find the pop-up blocker to turn it off. People that can't understand the simple login error message of "Inactive User. Please contact your board." BOARD.... not MLS. the MLS is NOT your BOARD!!!! I loved the guy who called just to ask if he really needed to call his board. NO, we just put that up there for the hell of it.

People who can't delete cookies. People who can't use a mouse correctly. People who type with one finger and can only type about 2 letters/minute and then mis-spell their password 5 times. People who forget their password and can't follow the instructions online on how to change their password and INSIST that we can tell them their password (we can't see it) and we've told them the same thing multiple times.

And none of them know how to read.

*cries*

I love the company I work for... but today was a really bad day on the phones.
            "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

Quoth bardicwench View Post
              ...... BOARD.... not MLS. the MLS is NOT your BOARD!!!! I loved the guy who called just to ask if he really needed to call his board. NO, we just put that up there for the hell of it......
              If they had a board like the one around here, it's because they got an answer along the lines of "duh" when someone mentioned a "computer problem". They turned off their brains and didn't try further.

The software I was installing was a good program once you learned to use it, and I learned quite well, particularly since I'm not even an agent. There was a lot of prep work to be done on a lot of the machines, but a lot of them were older systems to begin with and most of them hadn't had a decent update in ages.

Hehehe... you would have loved me... I took notes each time I called tech support, and while I called a total of four times if I remember right, it was a different issue each time, on different machines.

Guild Wars- Ravynn Darkshine, Drasnian Silk
              MySpace- PhantasmBastion

Comment

People who can't delete cookies. People who can't use a mouse correctly. People who type with one finger and can only type about 2 letters/minute and then mis-spell their password 5 times.
                Hey hey, I type with 2 fingers and my left thumb and I can out-type you.

But I feel your pain, because I live with one that pretty much encompasses everything you said.

MY MOM.
                Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

The MLS isn't the nightmare (at least not the MLS I work for)
                  ahh. I did some poking and (as you are no doubt aware) there are a multitude of front ends for the "Multiple Listing System" - something I was completely ignorant of. Whether by coincidence or because there were fewer options then, my clients seemed to have the same confusing. poorly arranged program. Glad they've improved.

but the people People who don't People that can't People that can't People who can't People who can't People who type People who
                  ur. uhm. ah. uh-oh! Yeah, that part hasn't changed at ALL.

And none of them know how to read.
                  Or want to. It's the secret button mindset. Their job is to do something on a computer. YOUR job is to tell them where the secret magic button that does their job is. Why do they have to do all these other things first?
                  Last edited by sms001; 09-18-2007, 11:54 AM. Reason: ors have r's not f's

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                    [sarcasm]
                    You mean it's an island too?
                    I thought it was a color...
                    [/sarcasm]
                    No, you have to FIX it before it will work again...

Comment

I loved the guy who called just to ask if he really needed to call his board. NO, we just put that up there for the hell of it.
                      Oh, dear. They're everywhere.

Caller: I'm on a screen and it says I have to activate.

Me: I can help you with that. Just click the Activate button.

Caller: Oh. I wasn't sure if I should click that.

Aaaaaagh!
                      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Agent: What's my desktop? How do I get there?
                        Sir, slide your keyboard to the side. That flat surface is your desktop. Bang your head on it until your photo resizes or you slip into unconsciousness. Good day. <click>
                        I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

"The program's saying I don't have full access, and I don't know what I need to do now!!!"

"Have you considered clicking the "Continue" button?"

"No, do you think I should?"
                          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Working...
                          X