X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upside RJ-45 Fun!

Just a quickie here.

One of my coworkers has a laptop. Their roommate borrowed it to get on the internet and shoved an Ethernet cable in it upside down. My coworker had it with her in her car, so I took a peek at it since it was dead in the store, and the thing is wedged in to the point I have no clue how to remove it without risking damaging the port.

Geek Squad wanted $80 to dissect the computer and pull it out, which is also giving her some serious sticker-shock.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Quoth JustADude View Post
    and the thing is wedged in to the point I have no clue how to remove it without risking damaging the port.
    You're assuming it's not damaged at this point already. Why must people try to force the square peg into the round hole?
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
      You're assuming it's not damaged at this point already. Why must people try to force the square peg into the round hole?
      Why must people refuse to look at the peg and the whole and put the whole in upside down?
      How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
        Maybe some people like the challenge . . . besides, it can be fun depending on the situation

*runs inside to take a nap that's sorely needed*
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I'd try a pair of pliers. I'm guessing the network cable is busted already, the port might be salvaged. Maybe. If not, well, I hope she can find someone with the ability to repair the slot.

But ditto on the "say what?" You can look at the hole and see how the thing goes in. This is not the hard part of computing. Yeesh.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

But...but...HOW did it get in upside-down? PHYSICS DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!
            Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

It's amazing. I've come to the conclusion that not knowing what you are doing can sometimes allow you to get away with the physically impossible.

I once followed a learner driver who was doing an annoying twenty miles below the speed limit - doing forty in a sixty zone. We approached a village and the limit went to thirty, seeing as it had a couple of right-angle bends. Did the learner slow down? Nope - still at forty (at my best guess), and did so around the corners. Those corners were lethal at twenty!

Of course, once the blink-and-you-miss-it village was out of the way, I was stuck behind the learner once more (country roads - no safe passing areas...)

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                If not, well, I hope she can find someone with the ability to repair the slot.
                If GS was $80, she can get http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper that for cheaper.
                SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                  If GS was $80, she can get http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper that for cheaper.
                  True, but for a laptop the user might have better uses for the slot.

But then, they shouldn't have broken the port in the first place.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Sheesh, don't you guys all know the rules? If it doesn't fit, push harder! Sheesh, get it right!

(Note: No comments from the peanut gallery on this one )
                    Quote Dalesys:
                    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Indeed. You would be surprised at the number of people who call up and complain at the beginning of the semester. "My internet isn't working, and neither is my phone." Ok, just humor me on this one, try switching the holes that each cord is plugged into. "Oh, hey, it works now! How come it didn't work before?" Oh, I don't know, maybe you should have clued into the fact that you were doing something wrong when you had to forcibly jam the networking cable into a port too small for it!! I'm not surprised when these ports get ripped out of the wall either. So for your friend to have had someone shove a networking cable in upside down? It's a sad fact of life that these things happen.
                      Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                      Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                      The Office

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                        Ok, just humor me on this one, try switching the holes that each cord is plugged into. "Oh, hey, it works now! How come it didn't work before?" Oh, I don't know, maybe you should have clued into the fact that you were doing something wrong when you had to forcibly jam the networking cable into a port too small for it!!
                        Funny story. My residence? The ports are the same size. No forcing required. Yeah. I know. This building sucks.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

And to think when we were painting a room and I bought a new phone jack plate I wasn't sure which way to orient the hole. I guess now I know either way was wrong.

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                          Why must people refuse to look at the peg and the whole and put the whole in upside down?

Comment

The friend damaged it, the friend should pay for repairs. end of story.
                            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

As a local radio spot for a talk show says "Personal Responsibility: What a concept!"

Quoth iradney View Post
                              The friend damaged it, the friend should pay for repairs. end of story.

Comment

Working...
                              X