Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waah! My illegal downloads won't work!

SS=Sucky Student
    Me= A vision of glory, beauty and modesty.

SS: "I'm trying to download music, and it says it's firewalled."
    Me: "What service are you using?"
    SS: "Limewire."
    Me: "It won't work."
    SS: "What about Ares?"
    Me: "Nope."
    SS: "What will work?"
    Me: "Anything that connects to a server rather than a Peer to Peer. Like iTunes, or any LEGAL MUSIC SERVICE."
    SS: "Fine." Click.

I'm kinda sad he didn't start arguing. I didn't get to stress ILLEGAL MUSIC DOWNLOADS any further.
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Okay, so that's what Limewire is . . .

I saw it on Mama Crow's laptop the last time I had to reformat it . I'm wondering if that program doesn't have bugs in it that will infect the entire computer. . . .
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Bingo.

It's hard to find a clean P2P.

I hearted my Kazaa Lite.

I might still have the doc I created when I was work study at the helpdesk for getting it cleared out.

Comment

Shareaza is pretty good, also open source for those who consider that important.

Rapscallion

Comment

Which is why I just use Bit Torrent

Comment

I'll second the bit torrent option
            I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

Shareaza supports bit torrent.

Rapscallion

Comment

Bit torrent doesn't work behind my school's firewall.

Currently, I'm told the newest version of limewire works, but I've yet to test that out.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Broomjockey -- if you are REALLY desperate you may try to tunnel the traffic through an alternate host (i.e. someone who isnt firewalled), honestly it isnt worth the effort under most considerations. It may be a specific target at the 6666-6669 port range (common for BT clients) so I would say try a different port as well. What client does everyone use? I lean towards Burst! on win32 and Azereus elsewhere. Easiest and fastest way to grab any linux distro I want to experiment with.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                    Shareaza supports bit torrent.

Rapscallion
                    true, bust an increasing number of servers blacklist it because you can throttle the upload speeds.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Had a call about slow speeds this evening. Saw a high amount of traffic going across the modem and it was steady. Pulled up the graph for bandwidth usage for the week, 27.4GB upload, 11GB download! Unplugged the router, traffic dropped but I wanted to test my connection to the modem by itself. Plugged the router back in without the computer or Xbox, noone seemed to be accessing the router without their permission. Plugged the computer back in, shot right up again. Found Bearshare, Limewire, and BitTorrent on the computer.

I'm not against downloading, just go into your options and limit your uploading please!

Comment

Quoth Battyone View Post
                        Broomjockey -- if you are REALLY desperate you may try to tunnel the traffic through an alternate host
                        Or he could... not.

Network admins don't block things for the heck of it. There are bandwith, security and legal reasons why P2Ps are blocked on school networks.

Plus, most network admins have already found and killed alternative ways to get on.

Comment

Oi! When I can't get what I want, I just have a friend get it and email it to me. *Pets Yahoo unlimited storage*

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                            Network admins don't block things for the heck of it. There are bandwith, security and legal reasons why P2Ps are blocked on school networks.
                            Uhg. Especially bandwidth. We just killed all streaming audio/video at work because the ladies were overrunning the bandwidth limits when the afternoon soaps came on.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I seriously wasn't planning on trying any work-arounds, or even trying this new version of limewire that "supposedly works." Because not only could I face issues with the Residence Life Co-ordinator if found out (those kinds of programs are expressly prohibited), which would mean fines and standards points (I think it's 5 and you're turfed), but since I'm employed here, I'd face the possibility of being fired. No thanks. I don't need free music, videos, or programs that badly. If I did, I've got friends who can help, and there's always paying for it.
                              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                              X