This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ten Million Dollar Laptop

Toshiba laptops currently come in several series, each with their own names. My store sells the Tecra, Quosmio, and Satellite series, mostly Satellite.

Customer was looking at laptops today and found the Toshiba Satellites first. He asked a couple of questions about one of them, then he asked about wireless internet. Before I could explain how that works (because he didn't know) he asked another question--one that brought my brain to a screeching halt.

"So, do these come with their own satellites, or do I have to buy one?"

I paused, thoroughly confused. I eventually managed to stammer, "Do you mean a satellite dish?" (I'd had someone ask if that kind of thing was necessary for wireless internet if they didn't have DSL or cable.)

"No. I mean, like, a satellite. So I can get internet anywhere."

I had to ask another question or two before I got it, and I don't remember that part word-for-word. But this guy actually thought that wireless internet was provided by satellites orbiting the planet. He just wanted to know if those satellites were specific to each individual laptop or model or series or brand or production year or whatever. It was an interesting experience explaining how wireless really worked. I imagine one could get a satellite dedicated just to one computer, but I wouldn't want that kind of bill.

And here I thought the guy who wanted a wireless router to broadcast 40 miles (from his home to his office) was bad.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

*blink*

Ow. My head hurts now.
    "Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!" - The Truman Show

Comment

I want one of those. Can I call my satellite S.I.D.? (cookies for the reference).
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I do believe he comes under the banner of "should never own a computer. EVER"

At least that way it will minimise the impact his being has on the earth

Stay Safe
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Now I know what I want for Christmas . . .forget the jewelry . . .

my very own satellite . . .

I will name him George and I will hold him and squeeze him and love him
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

If what he envisioned were true, the sun would be blotted out!
            I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Now to be fair, at least he had the concept that there has to be something on the other end of the wireless connection! How many times have we heard about people buying wireless a WiFi-equipped s laptop and the return cursing that, "no one told me that I had to have a Internet connection!!!!"
              There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

That reminds me of a conversation that I had with one of my old bosses.

Him and his family were going on a vacation, and his son (about 10 years old) was trying to convice my old boss to by him a laptop for the car ride. To make a long story short, he thought that internet service on laptops was similar to cell phone reception--you could get an uninterrupted internet connection as long as you didn't go too far into the sticks. I had to sit there and explain to him that it was more like a cordless phone--get too far from a compatable station, and you'd cut out. You can't do anything until you get close again.

He realized that a laptop would be a waste, and bought a portable DVD player instead.
                I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Oww...Oww...Oww...

My brains hurts too...Stop that!!!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                    To make a long story short, he thought that internet service on laptops was similar to cell phone reception--you could get an uninterrupted internet connection as long as you didn't go too far into the sticks.
                    Well, to be perfectly fair, if you buy a Phone-as-modem data plan for your Cell-phone, you CAN use your laptop's internet service just like cell-phone reception.
                    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                      I want one of those. Can I call my satellite S.I.D.? (cookies for the reference).
                      UFO! Ed Bishop rocks!
                      As soon as I start thinking
                      That I'm sensible and sane
                      The Random Hedgehog comes along
                      And fiddles with my Brain
                      (from card I got)

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                        Well, to be perfectly fair, if you buy a Phone-as-modem data plan for your Cell-phone, you CAN use your laptop's internet service just like cell-phone reception.
                        Yeah, but he was thinking that you take it out of the box, turn it on, and you're surfing the internet in under 60 seconds.
                        I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Lady Legira View Post
                          UFO! Ed Bishop rocks!
                          Virtual alien cookies are on the way.
                          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Only crazy televangelists are allowed to own satellites: doesn't everyone know that?

Comment

apparently piggyback launches for private satellites are fairly cheap nowdays...

AMSAT have been doing it for years, and when the revolution comes you'll be glad for the ability to call for help
                              It is better to be the hammer than the nail.

Comment

Working...
                              X