This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's USB and shaped like a thumb....

About 10 seconds ago one of my colleagues brought over a "USB thumb drive" to test on my computer. It wasn't working for the client, and didn't work on the computer out front.

This might, just might, be because it was a wireless mouse transmitter.

Quoth Impetrix View Post
    This might, just might, be because it was a wireless mouse transmitter.
    But, it's defective, right? Can I get my new one, please?
    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

That's hysterical, did you inform him of his misconception or tell him to try it on a few more machines?
      I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

I have had those at work.

"Wow! This wireless mouse comes with a flash drive? That's a GREAT deal!"

"I'm trying to use this jump drive that came with my mouse, but I can't save anything to it!"

Why is it so difficult to explain to them that there are USB "thumb-shaped" devices that are not for storage? I even show them several examples, but I am regularly surprised at how long it takes for comprehension to take hold.

And I think it was Gravekeeper who had a story about someone saving files to what he thought was a flash drive when it was really a bluetooth transmitter that had connected to someone's PDA on the train.
        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
        - IPF

Comment

And look what I just found.

Click here to see it. Microsoft has actually done it. A mouse with flash memory in the receiver. That's actually a good idea, I think, but they've just set us up for more confusion and more painful tech support calls.
          I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
          - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
          - IPF

Comment

Had a fairly similar thing happen to me once. I'm not tech support, but I was the secretary, so of course was expected to know everything that could possibly be known. Ever.

Got a call a few minutes before our meditation service was supposed to start. The remote for the projector wasn't working *gasp!* After a lot of "Well did you do this, this, and this?" we finally gave up and someone had to manually run it for the whole whopping 3 slide changes that needed to be made during the service.

Come in the next day to find the wireless mouse transmitter plugged into the laptop instead of the one for the remote.

Got chewed out for not thinking of that.

Silly me. I assumed that they could read the "for remote" and "for mouse" stickers that I put on each one.

I assumed wrong.

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
              And look what I just found.

Click here to see it. Microsoft has actually done it. A mouse with flash memory in the receiver. That's actually a good idea, I think, but they've just set us up for more confusion and more painful tech support calls.
              Serious confusion. Someone takes home the transmitter because it's the flash memory with his file, making the mouse useless. Oh, yeah, great idea, guys.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                Serious confusion. Someone takes home the transmitter because it's the flash memory with his file, making the mouse useless. Oh, yeah, great idea, guys.
                To be honest though, it sounds like a very nice idea for users who aren't idiots. Some people really like their mouse, especially if they laid out for a bluetooth, or they use it for their laptop or something, and so it makes it easier as there's less stuff to carry, since lappy often = needing to move files. It's not their fault there's so many clueless dorks trying to use technology so far above their heads that it might as well be magic.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                  To be honest though, it sounds like a very nice idea for users who aren't idiots. Some people really like their mouse, especially if they laid out for a bluetooth, or they use it for their laptop or something, and so it makes it easier as there's less stuff to carry, since lappy often = needing to move files.
                  Intellectually I can understand that. But then part of me screams "A USB drive is how big? So it's how hard to carry a few of them?" Maybe it's also because everything in our house is networked, so moving files isn't all that tough.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                    So it's how hard to carry a few of them?"
                    Well, the simple response is, on the craptastic school computers, it can take about a minute to load a USB drive. Now, say I've got 5 and forgot which the specific file was on. 5 minutes fumbling around at school trying to figure out where that file went isn't going to be fun. Which is why I wanna get one of those spiffy 8 gig ones once the price gets down a little.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                      Which is why I wanna get one of those spiffy 8 gig ones once the price gets down a little.
                      Yeah!! I'm 8 gigs! In your face, iPod shuffle!!!

I've got all the crap I could every need and more on my USB key, and it's "only" a 2 gig one--although it does take a little while to load onto a new computer. I don't know of anyone (Broom notwithstanding ) that has 5 of the suckers.
                      I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                        I don't know of anyone (Broom notwithstanding ) that has 5 of the suckers.
                        I've got little tiny ones. My biggest is 512, and it's the only one I carry on a regular basis, but still. Now you know why I want a *big* one!

Comment

It's USB and shaped like a thumb....

Finger Drive?
                          You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Working...
                          X