Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the crappiest computer that you have seen someone try to run Windows XP on?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the crappiest computer that you have seen someone try to run Windows XP on?

That I have seen through the shop:
    HP Pavillion 4440
    ~333 MHz K6
    60 MB Ram (4 MB to shared video)
    Running Windows XP Home with SP2. The customer was complaining that it was slow. (Came through today.)

That I have owned personally:
    200 MHz Pentium MMX
    64 MB Ram
    XP Pro
    (Don't know if it was running sp 2. Never got past the password screen before I reloaded it with Linux).
    "Sir... sir... diagnosing computer problems over the phone is like diagnosing brain cancer with a pointy stick"
    -ahanix1989, inspired by bash.org

Damn and I thought mine was bad. I've got a E-machines (ok I win with that point) thats a 1.1ghz celeron with maybe 128mb ram and dropped to a utter crawl when I put SP2 on it. It used to be my grandmothers but when she moved into a retirement home I took it. I'm thinking about tossing a larger HD in it and running a cable to the stereo and just using it as a jukebox. But I think its to much of a POS for even that.
    My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

I ran XP Home on a machine with a 400MHz Pentium II MMX, 192MB of RAM, and 5GB HDD, but that pales in compassion to Aressel's machines!
      I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

I saw someone, for shits and giggles, try and install XP on a vintage 386-era computer. It didn't even fit on the HDD.

Do keep in mind, I've got some WEIRD friends, though... not even counting the guys on here.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Highly relevant:
          http://www.winhistory.de/more/386/xpmini_eng.htm
          Music: Last.fm
          Pwetty pictuwes: DeviantArt | Flickr

Comment

A half hour to boot at 8mhz!

I think that's the standard time for vista on a 1.2 GHz
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

My brother once got it running on a machine with eight Mb of RAM. They installed it with sixty-four Mb, then removed RAM until it would no longer boot up.

Boy's got plenty of time to waste, I guess...

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
                <snip> I've got a E-machines <snip>
                First of all, it's e-machines because it's so much more hip these days to have no capital letters in your company name.

Secondly, AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

Thirdly, I too once owned an e-machines T1100 (also known as the $300-with-printer-included PC FROM HELL) and it was my sole computer for several years. The printer died after... zero uses. Never worked. Goddamn Lexmark. Or maybe the computer was contagiously awful.

It did run Starcraft, however. That was it's sole redeeming factor. Slowly, yes. But it ran.
                "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

Currently running XP Pro SP2 on an IBM Thinkpad 770Z.
                  - Pentium II 333 Mhz
                  - 128 MB RAM

Once you get it streamlined, runs pretty well...

Comment

I've had XP running in the shop on, let's see...the lowest powered machine was a P233 with 512MB RAM, actually it performed rather well.

A particular customer's machine, though, just ran through my head. A Compaq Presario, originally running Windows ME. It was running XP with a 667 MHz P III-based Celeron with only 56 MB RAM (64MB - 8MB for video).

What a pain - I threw in a 128MB used stick just to work on it.

Comment

Personally (partially as experiment and part joke)

A Cyrix 6x86 PR166 Overclocked to look like a PR200 (Woo-Hoo from 133MHz to 150Mhz)
                      64MB Ram

Don't ask I was drunk and bored (bad combination, good thing I was out of explosives )

It made it right past the password screen before I put slackware back on
                      Please wait patiently I have enough sarcasm for everyone.

Comment

I currently have XP Pro installed on a P2 233 MHz system with 64 MB RAM and a 4 gig hard drive.

I have 600 MB free on the thing, but the depressing part is that it boots faster than my AMD 64x2 4.something GHz with a gig of RAM

Comment

Try this out

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3732554/...b_-_eXPerience

Seems like a bit of a waste to burn an 88 Mb ISO. But what the hell

Just installing it on a P1 233 with 160 Mb RAM (EDO RAM) on it....

We'll see if it works

20 minutes later....

OMG!! It works!! Now for the driver hunt.

Update: Had to go with tiny XP rev: 6....Drivers too hard to find for this old Tecra 750CDM .....Works like a hot damn!!
                          Last edited by Mr. Rude; 10-21-2007, 04:53 AM.
                          "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Working...
                          X