This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listen, not speak.

This is part sighting, but since it happened in reference to a computer I was having repaired, I'm posting it here.

I have an old HP computer that's on its last legs. This computer, given to me by my father shortly before he passed, is a piece of crap as computers go. It's around two years old and has a number of problems, not the least of which (at the time) was a glitch caused by yours truly. It also happens to be the cheapest my dad could buy.

What happened? Long story short in sanitizing it after a brother of mine used it, I deleted one .dll file that the system needed to startup. The fix wasn't that hard really, just stick a windows repair/recovery disc in and let it do it's thing. There was just one problem.

I didn't have the disc.

With the computer as old as it was, I knew I had about as much chance of getting a disc as a rowboat has in a hurricane. This presented a few problems, prompting me to even go so far as to call Geek Squad. They listened to my problem and were pretty nice about it. Problem was there wasn't much they could do. The guy was really honest about it, saying that as old as the system was, that it really needed updated. However, due to them not doing fresh installs of windows (or something. It's been a while I forget the detail here) they couldn't really help me. They could recommend a few fixes for free, but that's about it.

My next course of action was to try a local guy. This is where the title of this comes from.

Now, let me say, I'm not professionally trained or anything on a computer; but by the same token I'm not an idiot. I do know when something is wrong, and the general cause of it.

I call up the local guy, whom I've never spoken with before, and ask if he does any kinds of repairs. The conversation is as follows:

T=tech
    R=me

T=Thank you for calling Blah. this is T how may I help you?
    R= Well, I've got something of a problem. I've got an older computer here that no one else will work on. I'd like to get it looked at and patched up if possible.
    T=What model is it?
    R= (rattles off type and serial) I think I know what's wrong, the problem is getting someone that can fix it.
    T= Oh yeah, we see that with those kinds of computers a lot. It's windows. Not really stable, degrades over time. Yours is what? Five years old or so? Yeah, it's window's fault, but we can fix that.
    R= (thinking) Five years old my foot. Thing's two years old idiot. ) Oh? And what is the cause of that? I never knew Windows to be unstable.
    T= 125.
    R= Wha?
    T= One hundred twenty five dollars. It'll cost you one hundred twenty five to fix.
    R= (mildly sucky, but also annoyed) You weren't listening to me were you?
    T= I'm sorry, what?
    R= You weren't listening to me. I asked (emphasizing) WHAT WOULD BE THE CAUSE OF THAT. Not cost you moron.
    T=(backpedaling) Uh well, I mean it's the code and uh...and well you uh, know I uh...

I hung up shortly after that. Talking with some other people, I've found that every problem that comes into the guy, whether software or hard ware, is blamed on Windows. Furthermore his automatic fix for everything is to wipe the drives and reinstall windows.
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Sometimes wiping the drive is the only thing that can be done, but in this case? Yeah, you got it. A simple repair off the installation disk would do it for you, and take less time, and prevent you from losing any data. What version of Windows are you running on it? If it's only 2 years old, I hope it's nothing older than XP! I can't imagine the computer retailers selling anything 2 years ago that had W2K on it...
    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
    The Office

Comment

No friends or anyone to borrow a disc from?
      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

If a tech immediately says "just wipe and reload" then that says a lot. Personally I only format when it's a last resort or when it's obvious it needs to be done.

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
          I have an old HP computer that's on its last legs. This computer, given to me by my father shortly before he passed, is a piece of crap as computers go. It's around two years old and has a number of problems, not the least of which (at the time) was a glitch caused by yours truly. It also happens to be the cheapest my dad could buy.
          Hell, my PC has an Athlon 1700+XP processor. That's like what, 2003?
          Perfectly fine by me, could buy more RAM tho (not worth it, now that DDR2 memory is half the price of DDR, I'll just wait and upgrade the processor and mobo as well).

PS. Build your rigs yourself, much less trouble. Brand name computers are horse crap with all the custom motherboard designs, weird extension packages and software bundles.
          Music: Last.fm
          Pwetty pictuwes: DeviantArt | Flickr

Comment

Quoth PaRaGaS View Post
            Hell, my PC has an Athlon 1700+XP processor. That's like what, 2003?
            Perfectly fine by me, could buy more RAM tho (not worth it, now that DDR2 memory is half the price of DDR, I'll just wait and upgrade the processor and mobo as well).

PS. Build your rigs yourself, much less trouble. Brand name computers are horse crap with all the custom motherboard designs, weird extension packages and software bundles.
            The only brand-name rigs I can recommend that you can get at a retail store are Velocity Micro's. They're made with quality components and have US-based tech support.

Comment

Sounds like he needed $125 for his BIOHA fund (Blow It Out His @$$).
              You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Working...
              X