Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You want me to give you your password, but don't know your own e-mail address?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You want me to give you your password, but don't know your own e-mail address?

Lately, these are the calls that are becoming notorious in my department. Whenever I get a customer who calls in about "I can't get the internet to work", nine times out of ten, it is usually because the customer gets the 691 error, ie username and/or password do not work. When a customer calls in on any account, we are required per our quality assurance and observing teams to verify all account info, including the full billing address. Full billing address meaning street address, city, state and zip code. (I once was hit on this for not getting the zip code, and since then have always made sure I got it from the customer).

What really nags at me and sets up a red flag is when you see the customer has had their internet service for a long time with us, yet does not even know what their e-mail address is! It is printed on their bill each and every month, and it always shows the price. Passwords are not printed on the bill, for various and obvious reasons.

Any customer can know your street address and so on, so when you get one who does not know their own e-mail address, the "scammer" light bulb goes on in my head. Sometimes it's also the account holder's child calling to get Mom or Dad's internet added to the lap top computer Grandma gave them, because Mom and Dad can't trust their child on the internet.

SC's like this hate it when they get me!

[QUOTE=greensinestro;204794Sometimes it's also the account holder's child calling to get Mom or Dad's internet added to the lap top computer Grandma gave them, because Mom and Dad can't trust their child on the internet.[/QUOTE]

I always had more experience with Junior calling the tech support line because the 9 year old knew more about the computer than Mommy and Daddy did.

Comment

I deal with alot of email issues via email, unfortunately alot of times people don't provide another email address to send a reply to. We had one customer complain about the password reset function on our page which requires your account number. He mentions that he throws away his statement each month and then tells us we have a "GREAT SYSTEM!" I'm about through with these people.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
        so when you get one who does not know their own e-mail address, the "scammer" light bulb goes on in my head.
        We have had the same ISP for years. My husband still doesn't know his email address. (sad sad sad)
        Tamezin

Comment

I work for a government agency with the word "security" in the title (not saying which one). They have to verify information on the account so I know I'm talking to the person on the account when they call up. Then they get mad at ME when THEY don't know their security information!

One woman said "You should have it there that I'm listed as a VIP and I've never had to give this information out!" Well since you're a VIP, it's that much more important that I DO verify your information now isn't it?

Comment

"You don't know your username? Hmm...well sir, and don't tell anybody because this is TOTALLY against policy but I like you, so...here's your password: 12345. Have a good day, sir!" QUICK HANG UP!
            You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Might want to send a brochure or some email about Social Engineering......

Or gently remind them The Bank gets to check id and ask for this info, isnt your information just as valuable?

Hint *2X4* Hint

cute
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Working...
              X