What do I do with my desktop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I do with my desktop?

It's a Lenovo ThinkCentre. Lately, it's been freezing, turning off, not booting, etc. I opened the case and wiped off the dust inside, but I don't see any improvement. What's the best course of action?

Could be overheating, could be an important component like the CPU about to die (happened with my last comp). Is it recent enough that it might still be under warranty?

In the meantime, check all of your cable connections inside (unplug it completely first - not just power, but video/internet as well). I assume you meant wiping off the dust with a dry cloth Check all of the cooling fans and use canned air on those. If possible, run the computer with the case off to see if any fans are faulty.

Run a chkdsk on each of your hard drives, one at a time, and see if they throw any errors. Then try memtest86 to test your RAM (takes hours and hours)
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I just sprayed hell out of it with what remained of a can of air. I plugged it in, turned it on, and it works! I hope that's all that was wrong with it. Just in case, though, I'm running chkdsk now.

And, yes, the rag was dry.

Comment

Okay, I thought all was well, but my computer refused to start last night (it finally worked). This morning, everything seemed fine, but then it turned off in the middle of work. I ran this: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

It ran just fine, but I didn't see any signs that any files were corrupted. I've also gone through my C drive and uninstalling programs and files that I don't use. What else should I do?

Comment

If it's old, consider replacing it. If it's not old, you might want to have a chat with a repair shop.

I don't remember if Windows has any kind of error logging, but if it does you should enable that and see what shows up in the log.
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
            I ran this: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
            Um... why? This is a network admin tool to make sure your install copy of Windows is still functional before you send it to all the little baby PCs to build new computers for business deployment. It won't be looking for the kind of problem you seem to have; use the programs ErikKei already suggested, they're intended to dig up the kind of errors that are cropping up when your system falls over.
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Well, I had the repair shop take a look at it. The guy told me that he could either fix it, or put the SSD in a new case. I chose the first option, because it cost less.

So, you can guess what happened.

I now have a new SSD in a new case. The old PC had a problem with the SSD and with the power supply. Fixing those issues didn't help. Now, though, I have a MUCH nicer setup. Quieter, too.

Comment

Working...
              X