This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chronicles of Draggar

Instead of making several threads a day now for what I deal with, I've decided to just have one thread and add to it. Who knows, maybe someday I'll make a site for them all.

I see a ticket in a neighboring tech's area (sometimes we have to cross borders to help each other out) and I see this:

Description: My mouse blew out from the storm. I am requesting a erognmic mouse in black if possible to replace the one I have.
    OK, this raises some questions.

1) How come "the storm" only blew out the mouse? I've never seen an AC powered mouse before so I have to assume it got its power from the computer which means the surge went though the PC and hit just the mouse. I'm assuming it is a USB mouse because it is newer desktop that the ticket is logged for (all the newer ones come with USB mouse and keyboards). I've never seen a hub being used in an office, let alone someone have their mouse plugged into one.

2) We're also replacing standard equipment with non-standard? I'm glad to see that everyone expects IT to pay for their uprades as opposed to their own departments.
    Last edited by draggar; 09-04-2008, 01:26 PM.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Quoth draggar View Post
    1) How come "the storm" only blew out the mouse? I've never seen an AC powered mouse before so I have to assume it got its power from the computer which means the surge went though the PC and hit just the mouse. I'm assuming it is a USB mouse because it is newer desktop that the ticket is logged for (all the newer ones come with USB mouse and keyboards). I've never seen a hub being used in an office, let alone someone have their mouse plugged into one.
    I had a customer like that, saying to me that a storm fried the mouse and keyboard. I told him to bring it in because those are typically the last things to go from a power surge. Sure enough, it turns out about 2/3rds of the system was kaput.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

the first ticket in my queue this morning (after the holiday weekend):

"CPU won't hold battery"

Next ticket:

"Printer has an error"

Really now? It would be a nice help if I KNEW WHAT THE F-ING ERROR WAS!! (And this store is a bit of a haul for me)

One of the team leads for the customer service team here is now insisting that I program the phone lines in an office he's annexed (without permission) so he can use the phone in there as the one he has in his cubicle.

Work order? Nope. Ticket? Nope. Wanna know why? A move like this would be shot down very quickly since offices here are reserved for important people who actually works, not a lead who is a lot less important than he thinks he is.
      Last edited by draggar; 09-02-2008, 01:24 PM.
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
        the first ticket in my queue this morning (after the holiday weekend):

"CPU won't hold battery"
        Maybe some candles and romantic music?
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
          Maybe some candles and romantic music?
          And so just about went rule 1.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Today:

"I just got an email from the helpdesk (response to an issue he is having with one of their web based applications) and they said that I need reformat my drive"

(I check the email)
            "It just says you need to run a disc cleanup and it gives you directions on how to do it".

"So what do I do?"

"Follow the directions?"

(Seriously??)

Update: I just spent 10 minutes showing him how to attach a file to an email.

Add in a store that is complaining that a PC is not working even though every time I go out there it works fine.
            Last edited by draggar; 09-03-2008, 12:40 PM.
            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I just got a 10 page email from a panicky user who copy and pasted the typical request for an error report from microsoft. The user was in a total panic thinking people were reading her computer from elsewhere.

She's bringing it in but I checked her logs yesterday and the memory dump from a crash the other day - she has spyware.

Edit 9:30AM - I told her yesterday about the bad sites and spyware. She left me a voicemail later and I just spoke to her. She hasked me if she can go to those sites. Um, they install spyware, so NO.
              Last edited by draggar; 09-04-2008, 01:28 PM.
              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                "Printer has an error"

Really now? It would be a nice help if I KNEW WHAT THE F-ING ERROR WAS!! (And this store is a bit of a haul for me)

"PC LOAD LETTER"

Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                  1) How come "the storm" only blew out the mouse?
                  Actually, I had this kinda happen last week. Our science building leaks. Big fun.

We had a leak right above a smart board sympodim. Thankfully, the only thing that got wet was an optical mouse. I don't know exactly what happened, but if you moved the mouse too fast, or got up in the upper right hand corner, the thing would just freak. We replaced it and everything was fine.
                  SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                  SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

A store just had me drive over an hour each way because "an error light was blinking on a printer".

I get there - it's asking for a filename. "Print to file" was checked. No blinking light on the printer.

Plus, someone's signature pad didn't work. Why? They unplugged it.
                    Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Today's entry:

A customer interactive computer (one where the customers can look at the phones, play with ringtones, look at maps) wasn't working. It wouldn't power on or anything.

Someone had reached into the back and unplugged all of the plugs. Yes, they didn't think anything was odd when none of the display phones near it were charging, none of the lights near it were working, and the printer wouldn't turn on.
                      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Seriously, if your computer has a blue screen, REBOOT IT, don't just let it sit there.

This one location is really starting to annoy me.
                        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

But, but, but... the blue screen is pretty and soothing... and they want to share the blue screen goodness with you!
                          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                            But, but, but... the blue screen is pretty and soothing... and they want to share the blue screen goodness with you!
                            At least they gave it enough time to let the PC build up the dump file so i could see that they went to sites they should NOT have...
                            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

This means war.

this is about the 3rd time i gave made a ticket on this issue and have seen zero results
                              I guess driving an hour to his location to show him how to uncheck "print to file" isn't results and then logged two more tickets over the weekend on completely different issues.

I guess he expects us to be psychic?
                              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Working...
                              X