This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No I won't fix your problem

So while doing DSL tech support we'd sometimes help customers with things that weren't strictly DSL issues. One day I get a call from a guy that got bored and started deleteing files "I don't use."
    He deleted his system.ini file... and wanted me to fix it.
    I am proud of myself for not laughing at him.
    I told him to call Microsoft.
    "But they'll charge me!"
    "Replacing your system.ini file isn't a DSL issue"
    "Don't you know how?"
    "Yes I do"
    "Why won't you?"
    "I'm not getting paid the big bucks Microsoft does. I've put notes in under your account on what you did and not to help you with this issue."

Ah, to be young, stupid and wantonly deleting system files... I remember those days...

Comment

Quoth edicius View Post
      Ah, to be young, stupid and wantonly deleting system files... I remember those days...
      Young?

Oooo, I finally get to have a say. Several years ago, I did freelance tech support for people in my area. (My usual problems to fix involved Microsoft ME buggering systems not prepped for it properly, but that's a whole slew of other stories.)

One particular person called me on the recommendation of 'V', a very regular customer, and not HER fault at all about it. I'll call him Q.

Q was a senior, but he liked to be on the scabby edge of technology (as in, it had just finished bleeding when he got to it). He'd heard the page file took up too much space on the HDD in Win98SE. So he'd delete files from C:\windows at random. Not once. Not twice. Oh, no, 7 times. And then he'd bitch at me the whole time I'm fixing his machine.

Granted, I got my revenge. Q paid about double per hour what the other (much more reasonable) customers did, with a 3 hour minimum to their 1 hour. The best part is that when he told me he was getting too old to fight with his computer anymore, I told him that in that case, if he left the hunt for the page file, he'd never see me again.

side note: Q died at age 82. And the last year of his life, he lived in perfect harmony with his computer. I'm sure there's a lesson in this, but I still haven't figured out just which one I'm supposed to learn

Comment

I had a user with too many document files kept on the C drive. We encourage use of the home network drive for that. I showed her how to move them over and instructed her to move any files she had made onto the network.

After the Program Files and Windows folders were moved (not copied), her PC started throwing up some "weird errors".

Comment

Working...
        X