This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks a lot Trend Micro...

....for releasing a buggy update causing your software to report a windows system file as a threat and causing a blue screen when the user reboots.

Well we have found a fix (last known good and then reinstall today's update for Trend) but yeah, thanks a lot Trend Micro for making the queue huge.

On lunch now, back to the center for more of this mess....

OK here's more to this...

The retail store likes to sell and install Trend Micro Antivirus with Spysweeper. Normal this wouldn't be an issue but I found out you have to disable the email shield in Spysweeper, otherwise strange conflicts can occur with Trend Micro (Trend already has an email shield so it doesn't matter). Sadly, store level and onsite techs who installed the 2 programs often times didn't perform this important step.

Back to today, a couple of us enterprising souls figured out that one of the strange conflicts caused by this is that it botched the update for Trend Micro, causing it to report the system file as a trojan.

Because of this, many of the calls came on Tier 1 so we decided to help clients with this issue as a courtesy even though software is not covered on that dept.

What does our floor manager do? She see dollar signs and says "no more courtesy calls for this issue on Tier 1, if they need help with this problem send them over to Tier 2 where they will need to be charged to get the problem resolved."

Anybody else see the problem with charging people so we can fix a mistake our store level and onsite techs basically caused?

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
      Anybody else see the problem with charging people so we can fix a mistake our store level and onsite techs basically caused?
      Damn straight. Anonymous tip to the media anyone?
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post

I do, but then again I'm not a corporate suit who's judged on sales and nothing else.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I always disable email monitors anyway. If there's a virus in the email, the real-time monitor will catch it without the chance of causing problems for the email client. I can't tell you how many times simply disabling email scanning fixed a caller's email problem.

Some would object of course, but most relented when I explained to them that a virus-laden email would still be caught, and it was either disable email scanning, call AV vendor ($$$), or no email for you!
          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Didn't Trend Micro get caught charging people for stuff that they didn't buy? I'm sure it was a *wink* mistake.

Beside, why would you ever delete system.ini (or any ini file). It's just a text file. If it's got a invalid entry, just delete that line.... Hell, you don't even have to delete. You can remark the line out.
            I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

It was actually Vista's Network Location Awareness service (nlasvc.dll) that it deleted. Oops!

Comment

That must have gone over well. That's one way to prevent virus, kill the network.
                I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Working...
                X