Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The mysterious and magical HP ENGINGEER!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mysterious and magical HP ENGINGEER!!

Among the well laid plans of mice and men and network admins, our network admin was supposed to leave at noon on Friday for a week long vacation down South.

Due to some residual whackiness left over from our core infrastructure upgrade, he was still in the office when I got back from lunch at 2.

A little later, I was looking for the server admin, who STILL was dealing with some dead ports left over from our core infrastructure upgrade, and ran into the network admin. He said he was leaving, and I told him to hurry before I told him about the next fire. He, being the person he is, asked what was wrong. I felt like the meanest person in the world when I told him we were getting reports that the student NAC was down. So, off he went to investigate, and off I went back to the Hades that was THE PHONE.

He was gone so long I figured he had passed word onto the server admin (which is a dual position of server admin and asst. network admin) or to my manager or my boss. That's when I got the call from the HP ENGINEER!!!

I looked at the caller ID, was surpised it came from the queue and that the caller ID said "Hewlett Packard" Any sales calls or support stuff would go to me, my manager or the network admin personally, and not to the Helpdesk line.

Now, I will admit to all of you (even if I won't admit it to anyone at work), that I made the worst mistake a techie can make. I had been taking calls for most of the day and half of the week about the glorious intarwebz" being down. So, when he said he was a father of a freshman, and had sent his little bundle o' joy down with a printer and a router, I forgot the rule I had adapted since students started moving back in IF I THINK IT'S FUNNY, I WILL ***NOT*** SAY IT.

So, I said, "Ah, that's part of the problem right there!"

He instantly got defensive with me. And since I just finished dealing with a student who said, to my bloody face "Well, I took it to a REAL technician, and HE said..." (Crap, I just got myself all angry thinking about it), I wasn't really in the mood to deal with mean people.

"Well, it's a network printer, and since you people only have one port in the room, I had to give her a router."

"Sir, I'm sorry, but I did make sure to note in all the paperwork we sent out before your daughter moved to campus, that networking equipment not owned by the university would not be allowed on our network."

"But you only put one port in the room."

WHY THE FLYING FUCKWAD WOULD YOU GIVE HER A NETWORK PRINTER??"

"I understand that, sir, but I'm sure you can understand our need of security on the network, and due to that, we can not allow students to bring in routers. Can't she plug the printer in directly to her computer?"

"No! It's only a network printer!!" WTF?????????

At this point, I've totally lost it. Thinking the network admin was gone, and not thinking much else, I said, "Sir, let me forward you to our server administrator, maybe he can explain things a little better than I can. He might not be in his office, so in that case, is it alright for me to send you to his voicemail?"

"He won't call me back." The tone of those words seemed to imply the addition of "you bleepity bleep bleep".

"I assure you, sir, he will call you back."

"Fine."

Later on, I did think better, and tell the boss, and he said, as I figured he would, that I should have the server admin forward him the voicemail, and then assuaged my unspoken fears that he would cave.

So, shortly after, the network admin reappeared, since he HADN'T left. Once he got the student NAC server back up, he found out the WAPs were down, and then went to attend to them. So, in short, instead of leaving at noon, he ended leaving closer to 4pm. I really hope his wife doesn't end up killing him!!
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Something wrong

There is something very wrong here. I have *NEVER* seen a personal/home-office printer from HP that only have a network port on it.

All the ones that you would expect a student to use has a parallel port or a serial port or USB port included in the base machine and most have at-least two types of ports on them.

As a HP employee I can see that maybe the father got his hands on a high end model, but those machines tend to be monsters in size and not what I expect to fit into a student's dorm.

Would you happen to have the model number of the printer in question?

Comment

No, I didn't even go that far into it with him.

Our only issue with everything was the router. And since I figured if I tried to call him on the printer, the words I would have used would have ended up costing me my job.

Comment

Brains

He may be an engineer.

He may work for HP.

But he clearly is trying his best not to use his brains in his choice of printers or what interface features it comes with.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
          There is something very wrong here. I have *NEVER* seen a personal/home-office printer from HP that only have a network port on it.

All the ones that you would expect a student to use has a parallel port or a serial port or USB port included in the base machine and most have at-least two types of ports on them.
          I agree. When I worked for HP in the past not a single printer that I trained on was ONLY network. They all had a parallen or USB port. Form a cheap $99 printer to a $20,000 color laser multifunction decice to $60,000 digital plotters.
          Last edited by Ree; 09-26-2008, 09:42 PM. Reason: Excessive quoting
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

That kinda leads me to believe what I thought. I think he wanted the router for another use. Be it wireless, since he never said if it was wireless or not, or a game station.

Comment

So if a student has >1 device needing network access, are they allowed to use a switch?

Hell I'd probably end up bringing a router too anyway. Who knows what might be on the other students' computers.
              Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

If a student has >1 device needing network access, they are allowed to plug and unplug the devices. We do not allow routers, hubs or switches on our network.

We do a weekly walk of the res halls with a sniffer. If we find a WAP, we disable the mac on it.

I really hope those grants for wireless come in soon!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                  If a student has >1 device needing network access, they are allowed to plug and unplug the devices. We do not allow routers, hubs or switches on our network.
                  ? are all of your rooms singles? Hell, way back in the day my roomie and I each had a computer....and that was before the internet really kicked off - BUT i can not see 2 people in one dorm room sharing a computer. Hell, even mrAccountingDrone and I have out own computers...
                  Last edited by Ree; 09-26-2008, 09:43 PM. Reason: Excessive quoting
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

No, we have mainly doubles. We have two ports in the room. One for each student.

Comment

Ouch. I bet that's not very popular with the students, especially the geekier (or just gadget-freakier) ones.
                      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

But it's very popular with us, as we already have a pile of hubs (or another piece of network equipment, I'm not sure) sitting on top of the box that sends each network port out of the building. That's really fun.

Comment

im curious, if they brought a wireless router and didnt connect it to the network but used it for just a wireless printer or in the room file sharing would that be frowned upon. i ask because thats what im planning for my sis when she ships off next semester
                          This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                          my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

I think that's a don't ask, don't tell sort of thing. If it's totally locked down, where no one else can get on, then it SHOULD be okay.

If we can't see it in a sweep, there's not much we can do. But, if things start handing out IPs, then we get a little miffed.

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                              No, we have mainly doubles. We have two ports in the room. One for each student.
                              ah=)

Though I dont know what you would need a second connect for, unless they have an odd desire to watch the netflix instant gratification feed through the new box that hooks to the TV...
                              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                              X